State Department and CDC advise against travel to Spain and Portugal
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and State Department have both warned Americans against traveling to the popular European destinations of Spain and Portugal, as well as Cyprus and Kyrgystan.
The State Department has issued “Do Not Travel” advisories, while the CDC has raised its travel advisory to “Level 4: Very High” for these countries.
Sign up to receive the daily TPG newsletter for more travel news
The new advice comes as a result of increased cases of COVID-19 in these countries, though current rates remain much lower than spikes over the past winter, which sent most European countries into strict and prolonged lockdowns.
Spain and Portugal would normally welcome thousands of American tourists during their busy summer tourist seasons. Both countries had been allowing tourists from the U.S. since June of this year — Spain currently does not require proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test for entry for U.S. citizens traveling to Spain.
Portugal allows entry U.S. citizens entry for tourism purposes on the presentation of a negative COVID-19 test (or proof of recovery from COVID-19 in the previous 90 days), regardless of vaccination status.
Advice for Americans traveling to Europe this summer continues to change regularly. Despite England removing most social distancing restrictions on July 19 as a result of its successful vaccination rollout, the CDC and State Department at the same time advise against travel to the United Kingdom.
Anyone planning to travel to anywhere in Europe should check both CDC and State Department advice regularly before commencing travel.
Featured image by Prasit Photo/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees