Southwest now offering pre-clearance for flights to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Coming hot on the heels of recent news of the state of Hawaii adding pre-clearance for several new airline partners, the announcement from Southwest Airlines should be welcome news to travelers headed to the Aloha State from five California gateways.
The program allows travelers to comply with the state’s Safe Travels guidelines prior to departure, and then skip mandatory airport screenings and quarantines on arrival.
“This Pre-Clear convenience recognizes that customers are excited to begin enjoying Hawaii once they land, and this process will expedite their time in the airport, allowing them to begin their Hawaii experience more quickly,” said Tony Roach, Southwest Airlines Managing Director of Customer Experience.
Essentially, you get a special bracelet that shows you’ve followed the directions for entry to Hawaii. When you check in for your flight to Hawaii, the airline checks you’ve done everything right and if you have, you get a bracelet showing you’re cleared for takeoff.
Southwest says that its Customer Service Agents will be available starting 90 minutes prior to departure to confirm travelers’ State-of-Hawaii-approved profile at the gate of departure. This added convenience will apply to travelers whose journey connects in one of five California airports where Southwest Airlines flies nonstop to Hawaii — Oakland (OAK), San Jose (SJC), Sacramento (SMF), San Diego (SAN), and Long Beach (LGB).
Related: Kauai expanding resort bubbles
Southwest has a partnership with CityHealth Urgent Care to offer $20 COVID tests in five California locations for results within 48 hours that meet State of Hawaii requirements. You can find a complete list of the state’s approved test providers at Southwest.com/coronavirus/Hawaii.
Related: 10 reasons to visit Timbers Kauai
Southwest Airlines currently has 14 daily departures from those five California airports in California and will add nonstop service to Kauai (LIH) from Oakland (OAK) and San Jose (SJC) on June 6, 2021.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees