Southwest now offering pre-clearance for flights to Hawaii
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG travel news and tips delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
Coming hot on the heels of recent news of the state of Hawaii adding pre-clearance for several new airline partners, the announcement from Southwest Airlines should be welcome news to travelers headed to the Aloha State from five California gateways.
The program allows travelers to comply with the state’s Safe Travels guidelines prior to departure, and then skip mandatory airport screenings and quarantines on arrival.
“This Pre-Clear convenience recognizes that customers are excited to begin enjoying Hawaii once they land, and this process will expedite their time in the airport, allowing them to begin their Hawaii experience more quickly,” said Tony Roach, Southwest Airlines Managing Director of Customer Experience.
Essentially, you get a special bracelet that shows you’ve followed the directions for entry to Hawaii. When you check in for your flight to Hawaii, the airline checks you’ve done everything right and if you have, you get a bracelet showing you’re cleared for takeoff.
Southwest says that its Customer Service Agents will be available starting 90 minutes prior to departure to confirm travelers’ State-of-Hawaii-approved profile at the gate of departure. This added convenience will apply to travelers whose journey connects in one of five California airports where Southwest Airlines flies nonstop to Hawaii — Oakland (OAK), San Jose (SJC), Sacramento (SMF), San Diego (SAN), and Long Beach (LGB).
Related: Kauai expanding resort bubbles
Southwest has a partnership with CityHealth Urgent Care to offer $20 COVID tests in five California locations for results within 48 hours that meet State of Hawaii requirements. You can find a complete list of the state’s approved test providers at Southwest.com/coronavirus/Hawaii.
Related: 10 reasons to visit Timbers Kauai
Southwest Airlines currently has 14 daily departures from those five California airports in California and will add nonstop service to Kauai (LIH) from Oakland (OAK) and San Jose (SJC) on June 6, 2021.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.