Southwest extends expiration date on some flight credit vouchers to summer 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The most flexible airline in the business has gotten even more generous. As Southwest fans know, the airline allows unlimited changes and fee-free cancellations on all itineraries, even non-refundable flights; travelers just have to pay the difference. For canceled flights, the value of the ticket gets rolled into future flight credit, which Southwest calls travel funds.
Travel funds expiring between March 1 and May 31, 2020 will now have a new expiration date of June 30, 2021, while new travel funds created between March 1, 2020 and September 7, 2020, will also have an updated expiration date of September 7, 2022.
Additionally, Southwest is launching a new program that will allow members who have expiring travel funds to convert travel funds to Rapid Rewards points. The specifics of this program are still unknown, but Southwest promises that the transfer will take place at “the same rate you would be able to purchase a ticket with points today.” We should see the program launch later this year.
Travel fund expiration dates will take a few weeks to update within the Southwest database.
The airline also announced several updates for flights that are canceled due to COVID-19 travel bans. The airline will either allow customers to reschedule their trips, or to cancel their tickets for future travel credit. Non-refundable ‘Wanna Get Away’ tickets cannot be refunded for cash. Current destinations impacted by the mandatory cancellations include the Grand Cayman, Aruba, the Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica, although the list will likely grow as time progresses.
For now, travelers impacted by domestic route cancellations can rebook, accept travel credit valid through September 2022, or request a cash refund although this policy is subject to change.
Featured photo courtesy of Denver International Airport.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.