Last Chance: Earn a two-month Southwest Companion Pass after taking just one flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Southwest Companion Pass is unquestionably one of the most valuable perks in the travel world. After earning the pass, you can choose a companion to travel with you for just the cost of taxes and fees on any Southwest Airlines flights booked with cash or miles (yes, including to Hawaii or international destinations).
Sign-up for the TPG free daily newsletter to get stories like this delivered to your inbox.
Normally, you can earn a regular Companion Pass of your own by flying 100 Southwest flight segments or earning 125,000 qualifying points in a calendar year. Those requirements were effectively lowered earlier this year, as Southwest gave members a boost towards the pass due to decreased travel during COVID-19. But amid a pandemic that’s slowed down travel across the board, airlines are getting even more creative to convince travelers to fly.
Southwest emailed users this week with a sweet new promotion that makes it a lot easier to earn that coveted Companion Pass after taking just one flight — though this promotional pass will be valid for a much shorter duration than the regular pass. The promotion was set to expire on Sept. 24, but it’s been extended for one more day (Sept. 25) if you still need to book.
Rapid Rewards members can register for the promotion here. You’ll need to purchase a new qualifying revenue flight (which can be one-way or round-trip) between Sept. 22 and Sept. 25, 2020, and you must travel before Nov. 15, 2020.
This includes domestic and international revenue flights booked in any fare class such as Wanna Get Away, Anytime, or Business Select. It doesn’t seem like this offer is targeted, as I haven’t flown Southwest in years and don’t hold a co-branded Southwest credit card.
Keep in mind that charter flights, group travel, Southwest Vacations packages and won’t qualify for the promotion. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for promotion. Make sure you don’t book with Rapid Rewards points, because these bookings won’t qualify, either. Travelers will still have to pay taxes and fees, which start at $5.60 each way.
After you’ve met the requirements, your companion can fly with you for just the cost of taxes between Jan. 6, 2021 and Feb. 28, 2021. You can select your initial companion within ‘My Account’ on the website or by calling Southwest at 1-800-435-9792. To change your companion, you must call 1-800-435-9792.
Airlines are offering lucrative (and increasingly creative) promotions to entice travelers to book as flights starts to slowly ramp back up. We’ve seen some pretty solid deals in recent weeks, but this represents one of the best promotions we’ve seen as a result of the pandemic. However, you only have today (Friday Sept. 25) to lock in a flight in order to qualify.
The regular Southwest Companion Pass isn’t terribly difficult to earn for those who lean into Southwest credit card welcome bonuses to get them closer to the goal line, but this promotion makes it easier for even the most casual Southwest fliers to earn — at least for those travelers who are again ready to take to the sky. Similar to the airline elite status extension race in the spring, it wouldn’t surprise me if other carriers followed with similar promotions as we enter the traditionally slower time for leisure travel in the fall.
Featured photo by Summer Hull / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.