Southwest cancels hundreds more flights Sunday after weekend weather, tech issues
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This story has been updated with new information
Southwest Airlines is still working through residual operational issues Sunday, a day after a combination of technological problems and bad weather led to the airline canceling 15% of its flight schedule Saturday.
As of 8:15am Sunday, data from FlightAware showed 385 Southwest flights canceled for Sunday, 10% of the airline’s schedule.
It’s been a difficult weekend for the carrier. According to a statement Southwest posted Saturday evening, the flight disruptions started earlier Saturday when the airline had to “briefly pause” its service amid an “intermittent technology issue.” The problem, coupled with severe weather in Florida, caused mounting problems.
On top of the hundreds of cancellations, FlightAware data also shows 43% of Southwest’s flights were delayed Saturday.
Get the latest points, miles and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
We are experiencing flight disruptions across our network today due to briefly pausing our service earlier this morning as we worked to resolve an intermittent technology issue, as well as ongoing weather challenges impacting multiple areas within our system. (1/2)
— Southwest Airlines (@SouthwestAir) April 2, 2022
“We offer our heartfelt apologies for any inconvenience,” Southwest said in a statement Saturday, adding that it’s continuing to work with customers experiencing disruption to their itineraries.
It’s not just Southwest impacted by Saturday’s severe weather, though.
TPA is continuing to experience flight delays and cancellations at this time. Please check with your airline for the most up-to-date flight information: https://t.co/yLBYVqlzjl
— Tampa International Airport ✈️ (@FlyTPA) April 2, 2022
Orlando International Airport (MCO) saw 30% of its flights canceled Saturday, with more than quarter of flights canceled at Tampa (TPA) and Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) in Ft. Myers, according to FlightAware data.
Today’s weather may cause flights/baggage delivery delays throughout the day. ⛈️ Please make sure to check with your airline directly for any updates in regards to their ops. For general airport delays across the US, visit: https://t.co/JKuNBVb9Fl https://t.co/LLkJMV9AtY
— Orlando International Airport (@MCO) April 2, 2022
Southwest customers impacted by this weekend’s disruptions can re-book within the original class of service they were traveling in or travel standby within the next 14 days without paying any additional fees, the airline said.
Featured photo courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees