Southwest unveils 4 new routes as it extends schedule into 2023
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest unveiled four new routes Thursday as the carrier extended its booking schedule into early 2023. Tennessee, California and Colorado were the big winners.
In Tennessee, Nashville International Airport (BNA) will get nonstop flights to both Long Beach Airport (LGB) in California and Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) outside Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
Seasonal service to the Colorado ski resort launches Dec. 17 with one round trip each Saturday. Nashville’s Long Beach flights will be daily, beginning Nov. 6. Flights at Long Beach are capped by slots, but Southwest is able to add the Nashville service with the slot pair it picked up from the two relinquished by Delta. The other, according to the Long Beach Business Journal, will go to Breeze, which has not yet announced its plan for the slot.
Special delivery: Sign up for TPG’s free biweekly Aviation newsletter.
In California, San Diego International Airport (SAN), Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) and Palm Springs International Airport (PSP) join Long Beach in picking up new Southwest routes. That includes one new intra-California route, which will link San Jose and Palm Springs with six round trips a week beginning Nov. 6. The route will operate every day except Saturday.
Southwest also will add nonstop service from San Diego to Colorado Springs Airport (COS) – though that route will feature an irregular schedule that will operate “on select peak travel days from late November through early January.”
Southwest schedule extended: Book now to save on flights through Jan. 4, 2023
Elsewhere, Southwest will bring back a number of seasonal routes while others will pause, as planned. Southwest also will tweak schedules on existing routes. The carrier says it will increase flights on “select high-frequency routes,” a move that the company says “will enhance timing options for business travelers and support network reliability in case of operational disruptions (like winter storms).”
Additionally, the carrier plans to increase Florida service with additional Saturday nonstops to the state from cities in the Midwest and Northeast. Those changes will begin in November.
Details of the four new Southwest routes are below.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
San Jose-Palm Springs
- Begins Nov. 6. Daily, except Saturdays.
- Begins Nov. 6. Daily.
- Seasonal, begins Dec. 17. Saturday-only service.
San Diego-Colorado Springs
- Will operate only on peak days. They are: Nov. 22-23, Nov. 27-28, Dec. 21-23, Dec. 26-30 and Jan. 3.
Featured photo by Zach Griff/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees