Southwest delays Boeing 737 MAX return into June
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines, the largest U.S. operator of the Boeing 737 MAX, said it now plans to keep the plane off its schedule through June 6.
“By proactively removing the MAX from scheduled service, we can reduce last-minute flight cancellations and unexpected disruptions to our customers’ travel plans,” the airline said in a statement. It added that the decision will result in about 330 fewer flights on its schedule each weekday from mid-April until the jet’s reintroduction.
Boeing’s 737 MAX, the best-selling single-aisle jet in the world, has been grounded by global regulators since March 2019 following two crashes that together killed 346 people. An automated flight control system contributed to both disasters.
Boeing has been working with airlines, regulators and other industry stakeholders to update the software that controls that system, but a fix has proven more elusive than the manufacturer initially anticipated. Early-on, Boeing promised the MAX would be flying in a matter of months, but in the U.S., the jets will now be grounded for more than a year if current airline plans remain in place.
Even after regulators re-certify the MAX for commercial flights, it will take time for the jets to be prepared for service and for crews to be re-trained on the updates to the aircraft.
Featured photo by Mark Ralston, AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.