Southwest Airlines adds 3 more cities to its ever-growing route map
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest Airlines’ route map keeps growing. The budget giant announced on Monday that it intends to add three more cities to its ever-expanding network, using the pandemic as an opportunity to grow its reach.
The three newest cities are Bellingham, Washington (BLI); Eugene, Oregon (EUG); and Myrtle Beach, South Carolina (MYR).
In a message to employees, Southwest CEO Gary Kelly said the three new destinations allow the company to “continue our focus on putting our aircraft to work to pursue more Customers and much-needed revenue.”
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
He described the additions as “three very different and appealing locations to both serve our existing Customers and places where we feel Southwest can make a real difference for local travelers.”
Southwest has not yet announced start dates or the routes it intends to fly from the cities, but it did give an indication about when to expect service to start.
For Myrtle Beach – the South Carolina destination known for golfing and beaches– Southwest said flights should begin “in time for summer vacations and we expect our arrival to appeal to travelers who currently drive to this very popular coastal area in the Southeast.”
Service to Eugene and Bellingham is expected to begin in the second half of 2021.
Even more growth: Southwest expands again, adds Colorado Springs, Jackson and Savannah
In announcing flights to Bellingham, Southwest noted that the city sits just south of the U.S. border with Canada and is a relatively short drive to downtown Vancouver – one of Canada’s most populous cities that’s only about 50 miles from the BLI airport.
“Following the reopening of the Canadian border, we expect a return of the value-minded travelers who already drive to this alternative airport to escape high fares and taxes,” Kelly said in a statement, leaving little doubt that Southwest expects its BLI service to draw heavily upon Canadian customers.
Overall, the three new cities give Southwest a whopping 17 new destinations that have been added or announced since the pandemic began to affect the United States.
It was just two weeks ago that Southwest had announced two more new cities: Destin/Fort Walton Beach (VPS) in Florida and Bozeman (BZN) in Montana.
Featured photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees