Some Hilton Aspire cardholders are automatically receiving their $250 resort credit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update (4/8/2020): A representative from American Express has clarified that the statement credited was only issued to select cardmembers. The issuing of this credit was not related to COVID-19 efforts.
As the coronavirus continues to suppress demand for travel around the globe, many award travelers with premium credit cards find themselves in a difficult position. Much of the value proposition surrounding the explosion of the premium card market is based on the idea of paying hefty annual fees up front and slowly recouping that value through statement credits and other travel and lifestyle perks. With much of the travel industry grinding to a halt, those perks and credits are getting harder to use.
We’ve already seen Chase take preemptive action here by offering select Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders a $100 statement credit to offset the amount by which the annual fee was increased earlier this year. Now reports indicate that American Express is taking a similar approach.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
$250 statement credit for Aspire cardholders
A number of Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card customers have been automatically awarded their up to $250 annual Hilton resort credit, even if they haven’t stayed at a participating property this year. Not all accounts have received the credit yet, so it’s unclear whether this is a targeted promotion or if Amex will be rolling this out to more accounts over time based on when the account anniversary is.
With experts around the globe urging people to cancel all nonessential travel and many hotels shuttered due to local regulations or lack of demand, it’s inadvisable and in some cases impossible for Aspire cardholders to use their resort credit. This annual up to $250 statement credit is one of the card’s most compelling perks, and a quick way to recoup part of the $450 annual fee (see rates and fees).
The information for the Hilton Aspire Amex card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Related Reading: How to get value out of The Platinum Card when you’re not traveling
Amex offers by far the largest lineup of premium credit cards, between its core Amex Platinum family and cobranded offerings from Marriott, Hilton and Delta. So far the Hilton Aspire is the only one that’s offering any kind of rebate on an annual statement credit, but hopefully more of Amex’s partners will push for this change to compensate customers who can’t use the perks they paid for.
Featured image by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy
For rates and fees of the Hilton Aspire card, click here.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees