SkyWest picks up 20 more Embraer jets for American Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add 20 more Embraer E175s to its regional fleet over the next year under a new deal with partner SkyWest Airlines.
Deliveries of the 20 jets to Utah-based SkyWest will begin in the second half of the year, Embraer said Thursday. The E175s will seat 76 passengers, with seats for 12 in first class and 64 in economy.
SkyWest plans to begin flying 10 E175s under the American Eagle banner this year, and the remaining 10 in 2021, it said Thursday.
The E175s are the first E-Jets SkyWest will fly for American. The regional airline operated seven Bombardier CRJ200s and 66 Bombardier CRJ700s for American at the end of September, its latest fleet plan shows.
The new jets begin flying in American’s network just as the carrier retires its 20 Embraer E190s, which seat 99 passengers. The E190s are due to leave the mainline fleet by the end of summer.
Earlier in January, American’s vice president of PHL hub operations Jim Moses told TPG that the majority of E190 flights in Philadelphia — where the fleet is primarily based — will shift to larger Airbus A319s. The balance will move to E175s and other large regional jets, like the Bombardier CRJ900.
American plans to end 2020 with 617 regional jets, 12 more than it had in December, its latest fleet plan shows. The airline’s mainline fleet could grow to as many as 964 aircraft depending on when the Boeing 737 MAX — American expects 22 in 2020 — returns to service.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees