SkyWest picks up 20 more Embraer jets for American Airlines
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will add 20 more Embraer E175s to its regional fleet over the next year under a new deal with partner SkyWest Airlines.
Deliveries of the 20 jets to Utah-based SkyWest will begin in the second half of the year, Embraer said Thursday. The E175s will seat 76 passengers, with seats for 12 in first class and 64 in economy.
SkyWest plans to begin flying 10 E175s under the American Eagle banner this year, and the remaining 10 in 2021, it said Thursday.
The E175s are the first E-Jets SkyWest will fly for American. The regional airline operated seven Bombardier CRJ200s and 66 Bombardier CRJ700s for American at the end of September, its latest fleet plan shows.
The new jets begin flying in American’s network just as the carrier retires its 20 Embraer E190s, which seat 99 passengers. The E190s are due to leave the mainline fleet by the end of summer.
Earlier in January, American’s vice president of PHL hub operations Jim Moses told TPG that the majority of E190 flights in Philadelphia — where the fleet is primarily based — will shift to larger Airbus A319s. The balance will move to E175s and other large regional jets, like the Bombardier CRJ900.
American plans to end 2020 with 617 regional jets, 12 more than it had in December, its latest fleet plan shows. The airline’s mainline fleet could grow to as many as 964 aircraft depending on when the Boeing 737 MAX — American expects 22 in 2020 — returns to service.
Featured image by Robert Alexander/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.