This Mini-Seat Takes Basic Economy to a Whole New Low
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
When “Basic Economy” was introduced to US airlines, there were a lot of misconceptions. One of those was that the seats would be smaller or have less legroom. So far, no US airlines have gone so far as to create a separate basic economy section, although American Airlines flirted with configuring a few rows with just 29 inches of legroom before backing away from the plan.
But there’s a seat on display at the Aircraft Interiors Expo that promises to provide a true basic economy experience. Using what its maker calls saddle seats, 23 inches of pitch and a foot panel to support part of your body weight, the Aviointeriors SkyRider is something quite special.
When I first saw the SkyRider, I originally imagined an aircraft full of these “ultra high-density seats.” Mercifully, that’ll never happen. Aircraft are certified to carry a certain number of passengers, and one with solely SkyRider seating would have far too many passengers to fly.
Instead, as a company rep explained, only a few rows of this seating would be installed. This would allow for more room in what he referred to as “premium economy” and business class.
I just had to experience for myself how uncomfortable the seat would be. So, I stretched my visit to the SkyRider for as long as possible, ending up with about 10 minutes in the seat, first in the front row and then the back. The front row wasn’t bad, but at 5 foot 11 inch tall, my knees were firmly planted against the seatback for the entire time in the rear row.
Perhaps that discomfort distracted me, but spending 10 minutes sitting in the saddle seat really didn’t seem to be bad. After all, as the director general of the seat manufacturing company was quoted as saying: “Cowboys ride eight hours on their horses during the day and still feel comfortable in the saddle.”
While no airlines have signed on to install the SkyRider, Aviointeriors representatives noted strong interest in the seat during the show this year. I’ve got mixed feelings about this. Sure, the seat wouldn’t be fun to fly. But, by installing these seats, airlines could maximize the number of passengers on the plane and providing even cheaper fares for those willing to put up with the half-standing saddle seat for a short (we hope) ride. Heck, if the fares were cheap enough and the flight under a couple of hours, I certainly wouldn’t rule out booking it.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees