Why you won’t be able to swim at this new 10-story-high, see-through pool
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The world’s first elevated, transparent swimming pool opened in London, spanning the gap between two large high-rise buildings that offer luxury apartments to the wealthy — and simultaneously widening the gap between the rich and the rest of us.
Exclusive views from the heated rooftop pool include the River Thames, the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament, but not just anyone can enjoy them. Access is limited to residents of the Embassy Gardens Legacy Buildings that house the apartments, which, according to the property’s website, start at £600,000 (roughly $850,000).
Want the latest card benefits sent to your inbox? Sign up for our TPG daily newsletter.
According to the Daily Mail, the development, which is in London’s Vauxhall neighborhood, near the U.S. embassy, encompasses 2,000 apartments, a bar and restaurant, and retail and office spaces in addition to the pool.
The pool’s location is the building architects’ creative solution to a “but where are we going to put the pool?” problem.
The swimming facility, which is easily one of the most unique and stunning pools we’ve seen, sits 10 stories (115 feet) above the ground and reaches 10 feet of depth in spots. Its walls, which are 12 inches thick, hold nearly 40,000 gallons of water and are supported by an invisible steel frame that allows the structure the flexibility it needs to move slightly in high winds.
View this post on Instagram
The technology was designed and tested in Colorado before the components were shipped to the U.K. over the course of three weeks for assembly.
Despite the pool’s exclusivity, several groups of people were seen using it over the weekend. This has raised concerns about gatherings in the wake of COVID-19, particularly given that England’s lockdown rules are set to be fully relaxed in three weeks, on June 21.
Although a travel corridor between the U.K. and the U.S. still hasn’t been established, officials are pushing for it to happen this month.
Featured photo screenshot courtesy of Embassy Gardens website.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees