You Can See a NASA Rocket Launch From the East Coast Tomorrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While New York City may not normally be conducive to stargazing, people here and elsewhere along the Eastern Seaboard may soon have the chance to see some exciting celestial activity.
Early Friday morning at precisely 4:23am, NASA will launch its Antares rocket. And even if you can’t make it to the NASA Visitor Center on Wallops Island in Virginia to witness the event in person, you could still catch sight of the spectacle.
According to Keith Koehler, a specialist in the Wallops Office of Communications,”The launch may be visible, weather permitting, to residents up and down the East Coast of the United States.”
The Antares will be carrying the Cygnus spacecraft, a vessel bound for the International Space Station stocked with nearly 7,500 pounds of food, supplies and a 3D printer capable of repurposing recyclable plastic waste.
People from Wilmington, North Carolina all the way north to Hartford, Connecticut may be able to spot the rocket as it exits Earth’s atmosphere. People in Virginia Beach are projected to see the rocket around 60 seconds after launch. New Yorkers, meanwhile, might notice the rocket barreling toward space 150 seconds after liftoff. All of this, of course, assumes the skies are clear.
The rocket was initially slated to launch early Thursday morning, but was postponed due to a developing storm. Despite the raincheck, NASA meteorologists have predicted only a 45% chance of “acceptable” weather Friday morning, according to AccuWeather. So space-fanatics should be prepared for the launch to be rescheduled again.
Spectators must orient themselves toward Wallops Island for a chance to glimpse the rocket. Visibility is also dependent on distance from the launch site: Those farther away should expect to see a streak of bright orange marking the early morning sky.
If you aren’t in the rocket’s projected path on Friday, it’s time to start planning your next trip to the East Coast. The Antares rocket will launch from the same spot in April 2019.
In the meantime, the launch will also be available to watch live on Ustream.
Featured photo by Joel Kowsky /NASA via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees