The EPA’s Scott Pruitt Really, Really Likes The Ritz-Carlton’s Lotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt is certainly a fan of luxury travel accommodations.
Congressional probes have recently looked at accusations of a litany of wasteful travel spending, often using taxpayer money to fund frequent first-class trips to destinations he personally wants to visit, telling aides to “find me something to do [in those locations]” as a pretext to justify the use of government funds.
He even wanted to sign a charter for a private jet for $100,000 per month — until aides were able to talk him out of it. (The EPA’s annual travel budget is $450,000).
Now, a new report from the Washington Post says that Pruitt asked members of his round-the-clock protective detail to drive him to “multiple locations” in search of the lotion available at The Ritz-Carlton.
“While EPA security agents are required to protect Pruitt at all times — while he is working and during his off hours — the two individuals said the administrator had asked members of the detail to perform tasks that go beyond their primary function,” the report in the Post said. “In one instance, they said, he directed agents to drive him to multiple locations in search of a particular lotion on offer at Ritz-Carlton hotels.”
Now, the report doesn’t exactly say what brand of lotion Pruitt was on the hunt for, but The Ritz-Carlton is known for stocking the luxe line of Asprey “Purple Water” toiletry products, as TPG Reviews Editor Nick Ellis can attest.
Nick is a big fan of the Asprey “Purple Water” toiletry line, as he noted in his review of The Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong. “If you ever find yourself at a Ritz-Carlton property, do your absolute best to swipe as many bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel as you can,” Nick noted. “The Asprey ‘Purple Water’ products are great — my bathroom at home has a nice stash I regularly use when I travel.”
So … it seems Pruitt isn’t completely off-base with his intrepid quest for the line of lotions in the DC area.
Featured image by Aaron P. Bernstein/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees