Ryanair Sends Bad Checks to Nearly 200 Delayed Passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair, the low-cost Irish carrier, accidentally sent nearly 200 delayed passengers unsigned compensation checks that bounced when they tried to deposit them.
The airline has been plagued by pilot strikes across Europe this summer that have affected tens of thousands of Ryanair passengers. On August 10, the airline experienced the worst one-day strike in its 30-year history when pilots in Germany, Belgium, Sweden, the Netherlands and Ireland walked off the job and left almost 400 flights grounded.
Following the strikes, the airline issued 20,000 compensation checks in July. However, at least 190 people received a check that didn’t clear at the bank.
— Emily👁 (@EmsTheGoddess) August 15, 2018
Ryanair blamed the problem on an “admin error” and said the checks were re-issued last week. “We sincerely apologise for this inconvenience which arose out of our desire to issue these compensation cheques quickly to our customers,” the airline tweeted.
Fingers crossed it will come tomorrow after all this coverage…. I have no issue with @Ryanair and gladly fly with them time and time again. Just needed a proper cheque, that’s all. Thanks everyone for raising the profile of the issue. https://t.co/fLKMPlHNaH
— Gordon Fong (@GordonFong) August 22, 2018
Airlines in countries that are part of the European Union are required to compensate passengers in the event of denied boarding, canceled flights or long flight delays. Ryanair had originally refused to pay passengers for its strike-related delays, claiming “under EU261 legislation, no compensation is payable when the union is acting unreasonably and totally beyond the airline’s control.”
You should know what you’re entitled to when something goes wrong on your flight, like how under European Regulation 261/2004, airlines are required to compensate passengers for delays and cancellations, up to €600 ($695) per passenger per flight. Always check for credit card reimbursements for extended delays like the Ryanair passengers faced.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees