Ryanair Plans Disciplinary Actions for Staff Who Staged Sleeping Crew Photo
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, a photo posted to Twitter allegedly showed a Ryanair flight crew sleeping on the ground of Malaga International Airport (AGP) in Spain after thunderstorms canceled flights. The photo made rounds across social media, leading many to publicly condemn the Ireland-based airline. The crew depicted in the photo accused their employer of failing to find staff proper accommodations following the cancellation. Four days after the photo of the sleeping crew surfaced, Ryanair released CCTV footage allegedly showing the flight crew staging the photo. Now, Ryanair is reportedly pursuing disciplinary action against the crew.
Video: Ryanair CCTV Footage Allegedly Shows Crew Staging Photo
Ryanair has summoned the Portuguese flight crew to appear at a disciplinary hearing at the airline’s corporate headquarters in Ireland. Bloomberg has reported that a letter was sent to the crew that stated that they were “required to attend an investigative meeting under the disciplinary procedure.” The letter went on to confirm the reason for the disciplinary hearing stating that it is to, “discuss the circumstances surrounding the distribution on social media of a photograph which faked events that occurred on Oct. 13.”
Ryanair originally corroborated the crew’s story that there were not any available hotel rooms in Malaga due to thunderstorms. The airline initially issued an apology after the photo surfaced on social media. However, CCTV footage quickly revealed that the incident was likely staged.
Recently, the Dublin-based ultra-low-cost carrier has been sparring with the various unions representing the airline’s crews. The union that represents the flight crew summoned to the disciplinary hearing, SNPVAC, still backs the crew saying that the photo is an “accurate illustration.”
Ryanair was forced to accept unionization among its crew and employees this past summer. The budget carrier has struggled to cope with strikes, walk-outs and demands for better contracts. One major tenant of Ryanair’s business model has always been low operating costs. The airline fears that paying its crew members more or offering additional benefits could affect its business model. Keeping operating costs low is one of the most significant factors that allows Ryanair to offer fares starting at $13 USD.
Ryanair has not responded to requests made by the media over the letter summoning the crew. There has been no word to what disciplinary action might look like should the hearing prove the crew was attempting to vilify the airline and its management. This is just one of the major incidents that Ryanair faced this past week. In a separate event, video of an older white male aggressively berating a 77-year old woman of color on a Ryanair flight due to her ethnicity went viral and required Ryanair to issue a statement regarding the man’s actions and the airline’s poor response.
(Featured Image By Jim Atkinson/@Jimbaba on Twitter)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees