Royal Wedding Gives Heathrow Its Busiest May Ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle did more for Britain than add modern touches to a centuries-old institution: Their royal wedding helped push traffic to Heathrow Airport, giving it its busiest May on record.
Heathrow (LHR) announced Monday that 6.7 million people traveled through the UK’s primary airport, a 3.1 jump over May 2017. Northern American royal fans gave an especially big boost, with traffic from across the Pond up 5%.
Traffic at the airport has grown steadily since 2011, with 78 million flyers passing through its gates in 2017, up from 75.7 million in 2016 and 75 million in 2015. In 2017, the airport Last week, the British government approved a long-awaited third runway, with supporters lauding the decision to expand one of the world’s busiest airports.
Prince Harry, sixth in line to the throne, married the newly minted Duchess of Sussex, the American-born former Meghan Markle, on May 19 at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor.
This story has been corrected to state that Prince Harry is now sixth, not fifth, in line to the throne after the birth of his nephew, Prince Louis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.