Royal Wedding Gives Heathrow Its Busiest May Ever
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle did more for Britain than add modern touches to a centuries-old institution: Their royal wedding helped push traffic to Heathrow Airport, giving it its busiest May on record.
Heathrow (LHR) announced Monday that 6.7 million people traveled through the UK’s primary airport, a 3.1 jump over May 2017. Northern American royal fans gave an especially big boost, with traffic from across the Pond up 5%.
Traffic at the airport has grown steadily since 2011, with 78 million flyers passing through its gates in 2017, up from 75.7 million in 2016 and 75 million in 2015. In 2017, the airport Last week, the British government approved a long-awaited third runway, with supporters lauding the decision to expand one of the world’s busiest airports.
Prince Harry, sixth in line to the throne, married the newly minted Duchess of Sussex, the American-born former Meghan Markle, on May 19 at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor.
This story has been corrected to state that Prince Harry is now sixth, not fifth, in line to the throne after the birth of his nephew, Prince Louis.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees