This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It has been nearly 10 years after the so-called “Miracle on the Hudson” in which Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger safely landed US Airways Flight 1549 on New York’s Hudson River after it hit a flock of Canada geese and lost engine power.
Using his skills as a former glider pilot, Capt. Sully deftly landed the powerless Airbus A320 aircraft on the river with minimal injuries to the 155 people on board the flight out of LaGuardia Airport. One of those 155 people on board happened to be Ric Elias, CEO of TPG‘s parent company Red Ventures.
Elias and Capt. Sully had not seen each other since the brush with death on the Hudson on Jan. 15, 2009. But they were reunited Tuesday night at the inaugural TPG Awards. The awards were held on Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum that is berthed on the very same Hudson River. Sullenberger was being honored with The Points Guy Hero Award.
“I waited for this moment for 10 years,” Elias said when the two ran into each other on the award show red carpet. “I always wondered what would I say? ‘Thank you’ seems completely inadequate, and ‘I love you’ seems inappropriate. When someone gives you a second chance at life… maybe English will come up with a new word for it.”
“For all of us, this was an event that divides one’s life into before and after,” Capt. Sully said. “And so I think in many ways it has been a second chance to rededicate ourselves to those we love, to really try to live our lives authentically with the right priorities everyday.”
Watch the two reunite for the first time in a decade in the video below:
Featured image by Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images for The Points Guy.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees