This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It has been nearly 10 years after the so-called “Miracle on the Hudson” in which Capt. Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger safely landed US Airways Flight 1549 on New York’s Hudson River after it hit a flock of Canada geese and lost engine power.
Using his skills as a former glider pilot, Capt. Sully deftly landed the powerless Airbus A320 aircraft on the river with minimal injuries to the 155 people on board the flight out of LaGuardia Airport. One of those 155 people on board happened to be Ric Elias, CEO of TPG‘s parent company Red Ventures.
Elias and Capt. Sully had not seen each other since the brush with death on the Hudson on Jan. 15, 2009. But they were reunited Tuesday night at the inaugural TPG Awards. The awards were held on Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum that is berthed on the very same Hudson River. Sullenberger was being honored with The Points Guy Hero Award.
“I waited for this moment for 10 years,” Elias said when the two ran into each other on the award show red carpet. “I always wondered what would I say? ‘Thank you’ seems completely inadequate, and ‘I love you’ seems inappropriate. When someone gives you a second chance at life… maybe English will come up with a new word for it.”
“For all of us, this was an event that divides one’s life into before and after,” Capt. Sully said. “And so I think in many ways it has been a second chance to rededicate ourselves to those we love, to really try to live our lives authentically with the right priorities everyday.”
Watch the two reunite for the first time in a decade in the video below:
Featured image by Dave Kotinsky/Getty Images for The Points Guy.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees