This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Hilton Honors has just announced a new buy points promotion: Now through June 7, Hilton Honors members can receive a 100% bonus when buying points. Normally when Hilton sells points they go for one cent each, but the bonus allows you to snag points for half that at .5 apiece.
TPG values Hilton points at .6 cents each, so this sale means you can acquire points for less than what they’re worth.
Note that you’ll have to buy at least 5,000 points to be eligible for the bonus. Additionally, Hilton caps Honors members at 80,000 purchased points per year (before the bonus). So this could be a great time to max out considering this is the best bonus Hilton has offered. (Remember, it is possible to get around the cap, since Hilton allows for free point transfers between accounts.)
If you do buy the maximum allowed, you’ll receive 160,000 points (80,000 base and 80,000 for the bonus) for $800.
Buying points is usually a great option if you have specific redemptions in mind, like the Conrad Maldives, where rooms can go for thousands a night but points rates are fortunately capped at 95,000 per night. Hilton also gives its elites (and it’s quite easy to get elite status with the hotel chain) the fifth night free when redeeming for award stays, increasing the value of your points by 20% when staying in increments of five nights. Hilton’s Points and Money Rewards can sometimes allow you to get as much as 1 cent per point toward subsidizing the cash price of a luxury hotel.
If you’re lusting for even more Hilton points, consider applying for one of the Amex co-branded credit cards, such as the new Hilton Honors Ascend Card from American Express, the Hilton Honors Aspire Card from American Express or the which are both offering 100,000 point welcome bonuses. Also consider the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, which is offering a 125,000 bonus after spending $5,000 in the first three months.
When buying Hilton points, the transaction is processed by Points.com, so a travel rewards card won’t earn bonus points on the purchase. You’ll want to use a card like the Chase Freedom Unlimited or The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express, which are great cards for non-category bonus spend, instead.
Featured image of the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort courtesy of Hilton.
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees