Rapidly Melting Ice Transforms Lake Michigan Into a Pool of Ice Shards
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lake Michigan has never looked so sharp.
Although spring has officially sprung, it’s been an undeniably frigid winter in the northern US. And in the aftermath of a record-breaking polar vortex (which also inspired its own array of unique photo opportunities), Lake Michigan is still showing the effects. Hence why, due to some rapid shifts in temperature, the water beneath the lake’s surface has been pushing against the solid surface to form a jagged shard-like “stacked pattern” along South Haven’s pier in Michigan.
In case the lake’s spiky surface isn’t a hint enough: you can look at the ice shards in the lake, but the US Coast Guard strongly advises that you don’t touch them. The ice formations, while stunning, are also dangerous. “No ice is safe ice especially this time of year,” US Coast Guard BMC Grant Heffner said to Michigan Live. “The ice is certainly deteriorating and breaking up.”
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Stay Tuned (@staytunednbc) on
If you’re trying to get to Lake Michigan to view the natural phenomenon before it all melts away, this is a great opportunity for you to utilize your backlog of points and miles. The nearest major airports to the pier are Gerald R. Ford International Airport (GRR), South Bend International Airport (SBN) as well as Chicago Midway (MDW), and if you don’t mind the drive, Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
ORD is a United and American Airlines hub, so if you’re loyal to United, you can use, among others, your United MileagePlus, Air Canada Aeroplan, or Singapore Krisflyer points. For American, you can use your AAdvantage miles and British Airways Avios points. While United and American also fly to SBN, most direct routes to the airport are operated by Allegiant and Delta — which you can book using your SkyMiles, Flying Blue points, and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points. As for the rest of the airports (MDW and GRR), there is a pretty even spread of the major four US airlines as well as Frontier.
Keep in mind that MDW is a Southwest hub, so in addition to earning or using your Rapid Rewards points, you get two free checked bags and no change fees. So if by the time you book the ice shards in Lake Michigan have melted — you don’t have to worry about the cost of switching or canceling your flight.
Featured photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.