Earn up to 15% back when shopping through Rakuten this weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In honor of Presidents Day weekend, Rakuten is offering triple rewards (up to 15% back) from select retailers from now through Sunday, Feb. 14, 2021. Then, on Presidents Day (Feb. 15), it will boost the earning rate to 10% back for over 200 stores.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
What you need to know
Rakuten allows you to earn bonus rewards when shopping online and in person at select retailers. It’s different from other online shopping portals in that it allows you to earn cash back or Amex Membership Rewards points.
To get started, simply head to Rakuten.com and click through to a merchant’s website before making an online order or link an offer to your credit card before making an in-store purchase.
With the Presidents Day promotion, you’ll earn 3x the usual rewards from Feb. 12-14, up to 15% back. Here are some participating stores:
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- American Eagle
- New Balance
- Old Navy
- Sunglass Hut
Then, on Monday, Feb. 15, you’ll earn a flat 10% back at over 200 stores, including:
- Bloomingdale’s (usually 2%)
- Saks Fifth Avenue (usually 2%)
- HSN (usually 1%)
- Overstock.com (usually 2%)
- Shoes.com (usually 4%)
- Ulta (usually 3%)
- Forever 21 (usually 5%)
- Crocs (usually 4%)
- Kiehl’s (usually 4%)
- Michael Kors (usually 2%)
- Ray-Ban (usually 4%)
- Reebok (usually 2%)
- Dell (usually 2%)
- TurboTax (usually up to 7.5%)
- H&R Block (usually 5%)
Since Saks Fifth Avenue purchases will earn 10% back on Monday, this is an excellent time for cardmembers of The Platinum Card® from American Express to use their up-to-$50 Saks Fifth Avenue statement credit for January through June. However, ensure you’ve enrolled in this credit before making your purchase.
Likewise, since Dell purchases will also earn 10% back on Monday, cardmembers of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express may want to use their up-to-$100 Dell statement credit for January through June. However, cardmembers must enroll in this credit before making a purchase and the statement credit is only for U.S. purchases with Dell Technologies.
Finally, TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece. So if you take advantage of earning Amex Membership Rewards instead of cash back, you’ll essentially be earning double the rates listed above.
Use the right credit card
The rewards you earn through Rakuten are in addition to the points or miles on the actual rewards credit card you use, allowing you to double-dip your rewards. So it’s important to use the right credit card when making online purchases and to pay attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to use a card that has high earning rates on non-bonus spending.
Read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
If you have any purchases coming up, now’s the time to make them. This promotion is an easy way to boost your rewards, but you’ll need to act fast as it’ll only be available until Feb. 15.
Featured image by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.