Last chance: Earn 3x rewards when shopping through Rakuten this weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In honor of Labor Day Weekend, Rakuten is offering triple rewards from select retailers. The promotion will run from now through Sept. 7, 2020.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
What you need to know
Rakuten allows you to earn bonus rewards when shopping online and in-person at select retailers. It’s different from other online shopping portals in that it allows you to earn cash back or Amex Membership Rewards points.
To get started, simply head to Rakuten.com and click through to a merchants website prior to making an online order or link an offer to your credit card before making an in-store purchase.
With the Labor Day promotion, you’ll earn 3x the usual rewards, so you can easily earn 12% or more back on your purchases. Here are some participating stores and their elevated earning rates:
- Adidas: 10% back
- Overstock: 8% back
- Nike: 8% back
- PetSmart: 8% back
- Sunglass Hut: 12% back
- Olay: 21% back
TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece so if you take advantage of that earning option, you’ll essentially be earning double the rates listed above.
Use the right credit card
The rewards you earn through Rakuten are in addition to the points or miles on the actual rewards credit card you use, allowing you to double-dip your rewards. So, it’s important to use the right credit card when making online purchases and paying attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to use a card that has high earning rates on non-bonus spending.
Read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
Related reading: Your guide to maximizing shopping portals for your online purchases
If you have any purchases coming up, now’s the time to make them. This promotion is an easy way to boost your rewards on your online and select in-store purchases, but you’ll need to act fast as it’ll only be available until Sept. 7.
Featured image by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.