Earn up to 15% back when shopping through Rakuten this weekend
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available.
In honor of Presidents Day weekend, Rakuten is offering triple rewards (up to 15% back) from select retailers from now through Sunday, Feb. 14, 2021. Then, on Presidents Day (Feb. 15), it will boost the earning rate to 10% back for over 200 stores.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
What you need to know
Rakuten allows you to earn bonus rewards when shopping online and in person at select retailers. It’s different from other online shopping portals in that it allows you to earn cash back or Amex Membership Rewards points.
To get started, simply head to Rakuten.com and click through to a merchant’s website before making an online order or link an offer to your credit card before making an in-store purchase.
With the Presidents Day promotion, you’ll earn 3x the usual rewards from Feb. 12-14, up to 15% back. Here are some participating stores:
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- American Eagle
- New Balance
- Old Navy
- Sunglass Hut
Then, on Monday, Feb. 15, you’ll earn a flat 10% back at over 200 stores, including:
- Bloomingdale’s (usually 2%)
- Saks Fifth Avenue (usually 2%)
- HSN (usually 1%)
- Overstock.com (usually 2%)
- Shoes.com (usually 4%)
- Ulta (usually 3%)
- Forever 21 (usually 5%)
- Crocs (usually 4%)
- Kiehl’s (usually 4%)
- Michael Kors (usually 2%)
- Ray-Ban (usually 4%)
- Reebok (usually 2%)
- Dell (usually 2%)
- TurboTax (usually up to 7.5%)
- H&R Block (usually 5%)
Since Saks Fifth Avenue purchases will earn 10% back on Monday, this is an excellent time for cardmembers of The Platinum Card® from American Express to use their up-to-$50 Saks Fifth Avenue statement credit for January through June. However, ensure you’ve enrolled in this credit before making your purchase. (enrollment required).
Likewise, since Dell purchases will also earn 10% back on Monday, cardmembers of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express may want to use their up-to-$100 Dell statement credit for January through June. However, cardmembers must enroll in this credit before making a purchase and the statement credit is only for U.S. purchases with Dell Technologies.
Finally, TPG values Amex points at 2 cents apiece. So if you take advantage of earning Amex Membership Rewards instead of cash back, you’ll essentially be earning double the rates listed above.
Use the right credit card
The rewards you earn through Rakuten are in addition to the points or miles on the actual rewards credit card you use, allowing you to double-dip your rewards. So it’s important to use the right credit card when making online purchases and to pay attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to use a card that has high earning rates on non-bonus spending.
Read our guide to the best credit cards for everyday spending to see which cards will maximize your returns for online purchases.
If you have any purchases coming up, now’s the time to make them. This promotion is an easy way to boost your rewards, but you’ll need to act fast as it’ll only be available until Feb. 15.
Featured image by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees