UK PM’s new plane takes first flight in new Union Jack-themed paint job
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s aircraft took to the skies for the first time with its new paint job. In video captured by SkyNews, the Royal Air Force Voyager A330 exited the paint shop in Cambridgeshire and took its first flight.
The Airbus A330’s new paint job, which reportedly $1.1 million (cost £900,000)— transformed the aircraft from a grey color with “Royal Air Force” written on the fuselage to this updated design to “better represent” the prime minister on official trips. The new livery features a predominantly white color with “United Kingdom” written on the fuselage. But the most striking feature of the new livery is the tailfin design, which features a Union Jack flag, with some of the coloring running as a streak down the side of the fuselage.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
You can watch the video of the RAF Voyager taking off from Cambridgeshire in the Sky News video below.
The RAF Voyager is the aircraft used by the prime minister, other ministers and senior members of the royal family when they travel on official engagements. The A330 is traditionally used for military purposes and was originally painted in grey to better camouflage the aircraft when it was on official defense missions.
Related: How does the royal family fly?
“This will mean that the plane can better represent the U.K. around the world with national branding, which will be in line with many other leaders’ planes,” a Downing Street spokesperson told The Guardian.
The RAF Voyager is one of a fleet of nine A330s used as transport and tankers for inflight refuelling of other aircraft. Then-prime minister David Cameron began using it in 2016, after a retrofitting that cost $12.4 million (£10 million).
Other world leaders are getting new or updated modes of transportation. In March, we got a first look at the new German Airbus A350, used to carry the chancellor, president and other high-level officials. And in the U.S., the president will get two new Air Force Ones when the very expensive modification of two civilian Boeing 747s is completed in 2024.
Featured photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees