Take a peek at Germany’s sleek new Airbus A350 “Air Force One”
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
While air travel has been significantly reduced over the last few weeks due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s still some fun AvGeek news out there to be had.
Germany will soon receive its first new aircraft to ferry around the German head of state and other high-level officials, reports Live and Let’s Fly. The aircraft, an Airbus A350-900, has just completed its fourth test flight out of Airbus facilities in Toulouse, France.
Germany has ordered three A350s which will replace two aging Airbus A340 aircraft. The German government proceeded with the purchase of the A350s after an A340 carrying German Chancellor Angela Merkel had to make an emergency landing in 2018. The estimated cost for the three aircraft, including special modifications, was $1.3 billion according to Aerotime Hub.
While the government aircraft that ferries around the US president is known as Air Force One, Germany will refer to this special bird as “Regierungsflieger,” or Government Aviator.
Similar to Air Force One, the A350s will have special capabilities. Aerotelegraph reports the plane will have a “missile defense system, a large conference room, offices and military radio equipment.”
The aircraft has a minimalist look, with the colors from the German flag wrapping around the middle of the plane. It’s unclear what the interior of the aircraft will look like, but the A350 is designed to hold up to 350 passengers in standard commercial configurations.
When the purchase of the aircraft was announced, Airbus said the aircraft would be outfitted with ACJ’s Easyfit cabin-outfitting concept. A rendering from Airbus of a possible ACJ Easyfit layout is shown below:
All government aircraft, including the incoming A350s, are maintained by the Luftwaffe (the German Air Force).
The -900 is smaller than the A350-1000 by about 23 feet. The German government specifically ordered the ACJ350 XWB, which is the corporate version of the A350.
Airbus will deliver two more A350s to the German government in 2022.
Videospotter.de filmed the first test flight of the new aircraft when it took the skies on February 21:
Featured image by Videospotter.de / YouTube.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees