Qatar Airways flies 4 Dreamliners 15,000 miles on a thousand-mile route — with 0 passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the era of carbon offsetting it comes as a surprise that any airline is willing to weather the press that comes with operating more flights than necessary. But what about an extra 14,000 miles with four brand-new aircraft — flying with no passengers aboard?
Such is the story of Qatar Airways, who, as reported by Paddle Your Own Kanoo, took delivery of four new 787 Dreamliners on December 27, had them delivered to Doha, and less than 10 hours later sent them to Victorville, California, home of the Southern California Logistics Airport (SCLA). As the planes originally departed from Boeing’s Everett delivery center, this made for a 15,500-mile journey, round-trip.
The total distance between Everett and Victorville? Just over 1,100 miles, which means these aircraft flew an additional 14,000 miles seemingly without cause.
Qatar announced in October that it was delaying delivery of its Dreamliners due to issues installing its modified Qsuite business-class seat. These four aircraft are the first to be completed since October and it would appear that the aircraft were due to be delivered to Doha from Boeing before returning to California for further modification. Why this couldn’t be done without leaving the country is unclear, but it’s not a great move in an industry where limiting your carbon footprint and offsetting your carbon continues to rise in popularity.
Photo credit MARWAN NAAMANI/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees