This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenti, the coalition loyalty program managed by American Express, is officially ending on July 10, 2018.
In an internal memo, Rite Aid, which is one of the members of Plenti, detailed phasing-out plans for the program’s final months. As reported by Doctor of Credit, Rite Aid employees are directed in the memo to not tell customers that the Plenti program is ending until April 16 — almost three months before it’s officially a program of the past.
Plenti was launched in 2015 as the first coalition loyalty program in the US, initially with eight members — Exxon, Mobil, AT&T, Macy’s, Hulu, Nationwide, Direct Energy and Rite Aid. The program allows allows member to earn and redeem points across all member programs.
The program never truly reached the level of success that American Express had originally planned. In recent months, there have been many signs that the program was fading out of existence, including in December 2017, when Amex officially removed Plenti as a Membership Rewards transfer partner. In addition, Amex discontinued its co-branded credit card, and retailers like Macy’s have left the program. All that, combined with the fact that Plenti offered sub-par redemption rates, means this news isn’t exactly devastating. Still, RIP Plenti.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees