This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenti, the coalition loyalty program managed by American Express, is officially ending on July 10, 2018.
In an internal memo, Rite Aid, which is one of the members of Plenti, detailed phasing-out plans for the program’s final months. As reported by Doctor of Credit, Rite Aid employees are directed in the memo to not tell customers that the Plenti program is ending until April 16 — almost three months before it’s officially a program of the past.
Plenti was launched in 2015 as the first coalition loyalty program in the US, initially with eight members — Exxon, Mobil, AT&T, Macy’s, Hulu, Nationwide, Direct Energy and Rite Aid. The program allows allows member to earn and redeem points across all member programs.
The program never truly reached the level of success that American Express had originally planned. In recent months, there have been many signs that the program was fading out of existence, including in December 2017, when Amex officially removed Plenti as a Membership Rewards transfer partner. In addition, Amex discontinued its co-branded credit card, and retailers like Macy’s have left the program. All that, combined with the fact that Plenti offered sub-par redemption rates, means this news isn’t exactly devastating. Still, RIP Plenti.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees