This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenti, the coalition loyalty program managed by American Express, is officially ending on July 10, 2018.
In an internal memo, Rite Aid, which is one of the members of Plenti, detailed phasing-out plans for the program’s final months. As reported by Doctor of Credit, Rite Aid employees are directed in the memo to not tell customers that the Plenti program is ending until April 16 — almost three months before it’s officially a program of the past.
Plenti was launched in 2015 as the first coalition loyalty program in the US, initially with eight members — Exxon, Mobil, AT&T, Macy’s, Hulu, Nationwide, Direct Energy and Rite Aid. The program allows allows member to earn and redeem points across all member programs.
The program never truly reached the level of success that American Express had originally planned. In recent months, there have been many signs that the program was fading out of existence, including in December 2017, when Amex officially removed Plenti as a Membership Rewards transfer partner. In addition, Amex discontinued its co-branded credit card, and retailers like Macy’s have left the program. All that, combined with the fact that Plenti offered sub-par redemption rates, means this news isn’t exactly devastating. Still, RIP Plenti.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards