Low-cost Icelandic airline Play expands to US, touts cheap Europe flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Play, the latest low-cost carrier based in Iceland, announced Thursday that it will begin operating flights connecting the United States with Europe, treading a path well-worn by now-defunct carrier Wow.
Play began service earlier this year with flights between Keflavik Airport (KEF) near the Icelandic capital of Reykjavik to London’s Stansted Airport (STN), quickly expanding to around 20 destinations. Several of Wow’s former management team sit at the helm of Play.
Want more airline-specific news? Sign up for TPG’s free new biweekly Aviation newsletter!
The airline said it will launch the U.S. service from Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI) and Boston’s Logan airport (BOS) to its entire European network, transiting through its Keflavik hub — similar to how Wow operated.
Flights from Baltimore will begin on April 20 while service from Boston starts on May 11.
To mark the launch, Play rolled out introductory fares for as low as $109 one-way (though only when booked as part of a round trip) to 11 of its destinations: Berlin (BER); Brussels (BRU); Copenhagen (CPH); Dublin (DUB); Gothenburg, Sweden (GOT); Keflavik; London Stansted (STN); Paris-Charles de Gaulle (CDG), Stavanger, Norway (SVG); Stuttgart, Germany (STR); and Trondheim, Norway (TRD). Fares are available on Play’s website.
Keep in mind that the discounted fare will only be on the U.S. departing trip when booked as a round-trip, meaning you’ll still pay full price for the return leg. Still, Play’s low-cost model means those fares start from relatively low base levels.
The introductory fares are available immediately through midnight Eastern time on Dec. 24.
Play operates a fleet of Airbus A320neo and A321neo aircraft. TPG had a chance to fly the airline between Keflavik and London earlier this year, and found it to be a great experience by low-cost carrier standards.
It remains unclear how Play expects to succeed using the Wow business model. The latter airline collapsed in 2019, during the peak of pre-pandemic travel demand. Economically sustainable low-cost transatlantic travel has long eluded the world’s airlines, and numerous competitors operate low-cost flights throughout Europe. Hungary-based Wizz Air, for instance, already flies to about 10 destinations from Keflavik.
Still, Play will introduce the low-cost service between Europe and the U.S. at a time when international travel dynamics are emerging changed from the COVID-19 pandemic. Time will tell whether that presents an opportunity for a low-cost carrier like Play, or whether the model will continue to be unsustainable on flights across the Atlantic.
Featured photo by Ben Smithson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees