Video: Asiana A330 Knocks the Tail Off of a Turkish Airlines A321
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As aircraft are getting bigger and airports are getting busier, it seems that there are either more accidents happening on the ground or we are just hearing about more of them. Either way, there was yet another aircraft accident today that thankfully left no one injured.
Sunday morning at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST), a taxiing Asiana Airlines Airbus A330-300 (registration HL7792) struck a stationary Turkish Airlines Airbus A321-200 (registration TC-JMM), wrecking the Turkish aircraft’s vertical stabilizer.
While some recent ground aircraft incidents have been a “near miss” leaving minor damage, that was not the case here. The Asiana A330’s wing made contact all the way across the vertical stabilizer — not just the rear part of the tail — as video of the incident shows:
As the video shows, the impact caused fluid to spray out of the broken-off tail. It’s unclear if this is hydraulic fluid or something else. Istanbul airport fire crews responded to the incident. Photos of the incident show hoses were deployed, seemingly for precautionary reasons in case the A321’s auxiliary power unit (APU) were to catch fire due to the damage.
Asiana flight 552 was taxiing for departure back to Seoul, South Korea (ICN). The flight was cancelled after the accident due to the substantial damage to the wing.
According to FlightRadar24, the Turkish aircraft had just arrived from Ercan (ECN) operating Turkish flight 969. As the video shows, the aircraft was stopped far outside of the parking position. It seems clear that the Asiana pilots didn’t realize that the Turkish aircraft had stopped short of the gate, causing the accident.
Featured image uploaded to Twitter by JACDEC.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.