Video: Asiana A330 Knocks the Tail Off of a Turkish Airlines A321
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As aircraft are getting bigger and airports are getting busier, it seems that there are either more accidents happening on the ground or we are just hearing about more of them. Either way, there was yet another aircraft accident today that thankfully left no one injured.
Sunday morning at Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport (IST), a taxiing Asiana Airlines Airbus A330-300 (registration HL7792) struck a stationary Turkish Airlines Airbus A321-200 (registration TC-JMM), wrecking the Turkish aircraft’s vertical stabilizer.
While some recent ground aircraft incidents have been a “near miss” leaving minor damage, that was not the case here. The Asiana A330’s wing made contact all the way across the vertical stabilizer — not just the rear part of the tail — as video of the incident shows:
As the video shows, the impact caused fluid to spray out of the broken-off tail. It’s unclear if this is hydraulic fluid or something else. Istanbul airport fire crews responded to the incident. Photos of the incident show hoses were deployed, seemingly for precautionary reasons in case the A321’s auxiliary power unit (APU) were to catch fire due to the damage.
Asiana flight 552 was taxiing for departure back to Seoul, South Korea (ICN). The flight was cancelled after the accident due to the substantial damage to the wing.
According to FlightRadar24, the Turkish aircraft had just arrived from Ercan (ECN) operating Turkish flight 969. As the video shows, the aircraft was stopped far outside of the parking position. It seems clear that the Asiana pilots didn’t realize that the Turkish aircraft had stopped short of the gate, causing the accident.
Featured image uploaded to Twitter by JACDEC.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.