EgyptAir 777 Strikes Virgin Atlantic A330 Wingtip at JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Just when we thought that we had survived the holiday rush, a collision between two planes at New York’s JFK caused a traffic pileup Monday night. Two widebody planes, an EgyptAir 777 and a Virgin Atlantic A330, were taxiing for takeoff on JFK’s 12,079-foot runway 4L when their wings clipped each other, an incident that led to the cancellation of both flights and the grounding of both aircraft.
The EgyptAir aircraft involved in the collision is a 7-year old Boeing 777-300ER, registration SU-GDL, which was operating as flight 986 from JFK to Cairo (CAI). The Virgin Atlantic aircraft is a 5-year old Airbus A330-300, registration G-VRAY, operating as flight 4 from JFK to London’s Heathrow (LHR). As of Tuesday morning, both aircraft are still grounded at JFK.
Reports indicate that Virgin Atlantic flight VS4 declared a mechanical issue and was instructed to pull over to the side to allow other flights to take off. However, there wasn’t enough clearance for EgyptAir flight MS986 to pass and the 777’s wing struck the Virgin Atlantic aircraft’s wingtip:
The impact sliced the Virgin Atlantic’s wingtip completely off. It was collected by ground crew shortly later:
Besides the damage to the planes, no injuries were reported.
In a statement to the UK’s Evening Standard, a Virgin Atlantic spokesperson would only confirm that the collision happened:
Our VS4 flight from New York to London Heathrow sustained damage to the wingtip whilst taxing to the runway at JFK airport yesterday (27 November).
Safety is always our priority, and all passengers and crew disembarked the aircraft as normal. We’re arranging alternate travel for affected customers to enable them to continue their journeys as soon as possible, and we would like to thank them for their understanding during the delay.
This is the second collision between two aircraft on the ground at JFK this year. In August, a Delta 737 hit an American Airlines 757, also with no injuries but significant damage.
Featured image by Diana S. Fleischman
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees