Video: Paddle Boarder Bumps Into Humpback Whales
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One paddle boarder in Australia just had the whale sighting of a lifetime.
And no, we’re not talking about the new Airbus Beluga XL.
A 28-year-old German backpacker named Alex was paddle boarding off the coast of Australia when suddenly he bumped into a pod of humpback whales (his board literally bumps one of them). The three whales were likely in the middle of migration — the window of time between June and August when humpback whales travel up Australia’s north coast to mate and give birth.
Luckily, he was wearing a GoPro camera and got the entire rare encounter on video. The pod of whales swam right around him for several minutes, Travel + Leisure says, and then Alex paddled back to the beach.
Alex was staying at Surfaris Surf Camp in Crescent Head, Australia, at the time of the encounter. Humpback whales migrate north in the summer months in Australia, and they will head back south again to feed in September. Anytime from June to September is a good time to spot them Down Under.
However, for whale watchers in other parts of the world, Hawaii for example, the opposite stretch of months is ideal. Humpback whales migrate down south from Alaska to Hawaii to give birth in the winter months, so tourists are likely to see whales anywhere between November to May, but January to March is the peak season for whale watching in Hawaii. Likewise, the best times to spot Orca whales off the coast of Seattle is the during the summer months from May to October.
But, even if you book the perfect time and place to spot a whale, it will be hard to beat the incredible close encounter Alex had in Australia.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees