Video: Paddle Boarder Bumps Into Humpback Whales
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One paddle boarder in Australia just had the whale sighting of a lifetime.
And no, we’re not talking about the new Airbus Beluga XL.
A 28-year-old German backpacker named Alex was paddle boarding off the coast of Australia when suddenly he bumped into a pod of humpback whales (his board literally bumps one of them). The three whales were likely in the middle of migration — the window of time between June and August when humpback whales travel up Australia’s north coast to mate and give birth.
Luckily, he was wearing a GoPro camera and got the entire rare encounter on video. The pod of whales swam right around him for several minutes, Travel + Leisure says, and then Alex paddled back to the beach.
Alex was staying at Surfaris Surf Camp in Crescent Head, Australia, at the time of the encounter. Humpback whales migrate north in the summer months in Australia, and they will head back south again to feed in September. Anytime from June to September is a good time to spot them Down Under.
However, for whale watchers in other parts of the world, Hawaii for example, the opposite stretch of months is ideal. Humpback whales migrate down south from Alaska to Hawaii to give birth in the winter months, so tourists are likely to see whales anywhere between November to May, but January to March is the peak season for whale watching in Hawaii. Likewise, the best times to spot Orca whales off the coast of Seattle is the during the summer months from May to October.
But, even if you book the perfect time and place to spot a whale, it will be hard to beat the incredible close encounter Alex had in Australia.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.