This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One paddle boarder in Australia just had the whale sighting of a lifetime.
And no, we’re not talking about the new Airbus Beluga XL.
A 28-year-old German backpacker named Alex was paddle boarding off the coast of Australia when suddenly he bumped into a pod of humpback whales (his board literally bumps one of them). The three whales were likely in the middle of migration — the window of time between June and August when humpback whales travel up Australia’s north coast to mate and give birth.
Luckily, he was wearing a GoPro camera and got the entire rare encounter on video. The pod of whales swam right around him for several minutes, Travel + Leisure says, and then Alex paddled back to the beach.
Alex was staying at Surfaris Surf Camp in Crescent Head, Australia, at the time of the encounter. Humpback whales migrate north in the summer months in Australia, and they will head back south again to feed in September. Anytime from June to September is a good time to spot them Down Under.
However, for whale watchers in other parts of the world, Hawaii for example, the opposite stretch of months is ideal. Humpback whales migrate down south from Alaska to Hawaii to give birth in the winter months, so tourists are likely to see whales anywhere between November to May, but January to March is the peak season for whale watching in Hawaii. Likewise, the best times to spot Orca whales off the coast of Seattle is the during the summer months from May to October.
But, even if you book the perfect time and place to spot a whale, it will be hard to beat the incredible close encounter Alex had in Australia.
Featured image by M Swiet Productions / Getty Images.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that