Outbreak at Sandals – Yes, you can get COVID-19 at a resort
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated after TPG got a statement from Sandals Resorts International.
A growing outbreak of COVID-19 at Sandals Grenada has the government there scrambling to find out what happened and guests wondering what to do next.
The Ministry of Health confirmed a cluster of at least 26 cases including guests of the all-inclusive resort, employees and some of their contacts. That brings the country’s COVID-19 caseload to 71, and that number is expected to rise.
I reached out to the resort, and they told me they wouldn’t answer questions, and were not talking to media. Later, however, we received a statement from Sandals Resorts International who told TPG:
“Grenada’s situation is an isolated one, the asymptomatic individuals were quickly identified, and we are collaborating with public health authorities to develop key learnings further. Out of an abundance of caution, the government has asked that we pause the acceptance of new arrivals for the next several days; however, the resort is currently open and fully operational for guests to enjoy.”
The news was first reported by The New Today newspaper in Grenada.
Grenada’s health minister Nickolas Steele reportedly ordered the evacuation of the resort on Sunday, but later backed away from that order as the resort is apparently being considered a “place of screening and assessment.”
Steele said they were investigating, “why, when and how the virus was able to spread at the hotel.”
Grenada’s Prime Minister Keith Mitchell is scheduled to address the nation on Monday night.
According to published reports, guests at the luxury resort are not required to undergo regular testing while on the property, but all arrivals in the country do need to show they have proof of a COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival on the island.
We do not know exactly how the virus is being spread, but some reports suggest staff and guests have frequent interactions at the property. Like many Caribbean resorts, Sandals Grenada has multiple outdoor common spaces where guests congregate. Being outdoors much of the day, however, may not be enough by itself to protect guests from the virus.
Sandals says on its website that they are screening guests on arrival with temperature checks, but TPG couldn’t find mention of a mask requirement for guests. Staff are required to wear masks.
At a news conference on Sunday Dec. 13, Acting Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Shawn Charles said that hundreds of additional tests are pending and the case loads are expected to climb, “It is very likely that this number will increase significantly.”
Still, the Minster of Health said in a statement the country would not go back into lockdown, “We have prepared for this eventually. We cannot afford to close our borders.”
Related: Grenada reopening
The resort remains open for future bookings.
Featured image by Westend61/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees