Orlando International Airport to Stay Open During Hurricane Dorian
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For the latest update on Hurricane Dorian, check thepointsguy.com/hurricane.
As Hurricane Dorian makes its way toward the US with wind speeds of about 150 miles per hour, the category 4 storm has caused major disruptions to the busy Labor Day travel weekend and perplexed forecasters with its ever changing path.
On Friday afternoon, Orlando International Airport (MCO) announced its closure ahead of Dorian making landfall, but as the storm’s predicted path has shifted farther north, MCO has lifted its planned closure and decided to continue operations on Monday, September 2.
This decision was made in consultation with the National Weather Service, as new projections show Dorian heading up the coast of Florida toward Georgia and the Carolinas.
Two other south Florida airports had announced closures as well. Orlando Melbourne Airport (MLB) has pushed its closure back to 6 p.m. on Monday, September 2, while Daytona Beach Airport (DAB) will close after the last departure on Sunday night.
Even with these adjustments to airport operations, anyone traveling to south Florida this week should be prepared for lengthy flight delays. FlightAware’s cancellation tracker is showing over 200 flights canceled for Sunday, mostly in/out of Orlando. Many airlines have capped fares for flights out of Florida, and some have even added extra capacity over the weekend to help people trying to evacuate.
In addition, most US airlines have issued weather advisories for Florida and the Bahamas ahead of Hurricane Dorian, allowing flexible travelers the chance to rebook away from the storm. Here are the latest waivers:
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees