This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last Tuesday, Amazon launched a terrific discount offer tied to its upcoming Prime Day on July 16. By applying just one American Express Membership Rewards point to your order of qualifying items, targeted shoppers are able to get 20% off just about any purchase.
Well, the deal is still ongoing, and since the terms only exclude Amazon gift cards — not third-party gift cards — you can effectively get 20% off a number of future travel-related purchases by stocking up now on various airline or hotel gift cards with the discount. Numerous reports confirm that purchases of $100 or more worth of eligible merchandise or third-party gift cards are still triggering the discount. In addition, if you’ve already gotten your $100 maximum discount, many are reporting being able to re-activate the offer and get a second order with the 20% off.
Whether you travel by air, land or simply value a good hotel stay, this Amazon deal is a fantastic way to score savings off future travel. Here are some options you might consider:
- Airbnb – available in increments up to $200
- Hotels.com – available in increments up to $500
- Lyft – available in increments up to $150
- Southwest – available in increments up to $200
- Uber – available in increments up to $100
If you haven’t done so yet, you can see if you’re eligible for the targeted discount promotion by linking your Amazon account to an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards and then clicking on the “Click to Activate” link on the promotional page. If you’re not targeted, you’ll be informed when you attempt to activate the offer, but if you’re eligible, you can proceed to shop for any items sold by Amazon or Amazon Digital Services (third-party sellers don’t count). Eligible credit cards that earn Membership Rewards include The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express or The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, among others.
At checkout, you can get the discount to apply to your order by selecting the Membership Rewards-earning American Express card that’s linked to your Amazon account. Then in the box where Amazon offers to let you apply points to your order, you only need to put in $0.01 worth of points, which will be equivalent to 1 point. Click “Use this payment method” and the 20% discount should show up in your total on the right side. The discount is capped at $100 since it only applies to up to $500 in purchases.
Again, there’s no formal end date for the 20% discount — the terms and conditions simply state that the deal ends “when Amazon elects to end the promotion.” However, given the popularity of this offer, it’d probably be better to take advantage of it sooner rather than later.
H/T: Mommy Points
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards