It’s Not Too Late to Save 20% Off Travel Gift Cards Through Amazon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last Tuesday, Amazon launched a terrific discount offer tied to its upcoming Prime Day on July 16. By applying just one American Express Membership Rewards point to your order of qualifying items, targeted shoppers are able to get 20% off just about any purchase.
Well, the deal is still ongoing, and since the terms only exclude Amazon gift cards — not third-party gift cards — you can effectively get 20% off a number of future travel-related purchases by stocking up now on various airline or hotel gift cards with the discount. Numerous reports confirm that purchases of $100 or more worth of eligible merchandise or third-party gift cards are still triggering the discount. In addition, if you’ve already gotten your $100 maximum discount, many are reporting being able to re-activate the offer and get a second order with the 20% off.
Whether you travel by air, land or simply value a good hotel stay, this Amazon deal is a fantastic way to score savings off future travel. Here are some options you might consider:
- Airbnb – available in increments up to $200
- Hotels.com – available in increments up to $500
- Lyft – available in increments up to $150
- Southwest – available in increments up to $200
- Uber – available in increments up to $100
If you haven’t done so yet, you can see if you’re eligible for the targeted discount promotion by linking your Amazon account to an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards and then clicking on the “Click to Activate” link on the promotional page. If you’re not targeted, you’ll be informed when you attempt to activate the offer, but if you’re eligible, you can proceed to shop for any items sold by Amazon or Amazon Digital Services (third-party sellers don’t count). Eligible credit cards that earn Membership Rewards include The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, among others.
At checkout, you can get the discount to apply to your order by selecting the Membership Rewards-earning American Express card that’s linked to your Amazon account. Then in the box where Amazon offers to let you apply points to your order, you only need to put in $0.01 worth of points, which will be equivalent to 1 point. Click “Use this payment method” and the 20% discount should show up in your total on the right side. The discount is capped at $100 since it only applies to up to $500 in purchases.
Again, there’s no formal end date for the 20% discount — the terms and conditions simply state that the deal ends “when Amazon elects to end the promotion.” However, given the popularity of this offer, it’d probably be better to take advantage of it sooner rather than later.
H/T: Mommy Points
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees