It’s Not Too Late to Save 20% Off Travel Gift Cards Through Amazon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Last Tuesday, Amazon launched a terrific discount offer tied to its upcoming Prime Day on July 16. By applying just one American Express Membership Rewards point to your order of qualifying items, targeted shoppers are able to get 20% off just about any purchase.
Well, the deal is still ongoing, and since the terms only exclude Amazon gift cards — not third-party gift cards — you can effectively get 20% off a number of future travel-related purchases by stocking up now on various airline or hotel gift cards with the discount. Numerous reports confirm that purchases of $100 or more worth of eligible merchandise or third-party gift cards are still triggering the discount. In addition, if you’ve already gotten your $100 maximum discount, many are reporting being able to re-activate the offer and get a second order with the 20% off.
Whether you travel by air, land or simply value a good hotel stay, this Amazon deal is a fantastic way to score savings off future travel. Here are some options you might consider:
- Airbnb – available in increments up to $200
- Hotels.com – available in increments up to $500
- Lyft – available in increments up to $150
- Southwest – available in increments up to $200
- Uber – available in increments up to $100
If you haven’t done so yet, you can see if you’re eligible for the targeted discount promotion by linking your Amazon account to an American Express card that earns Membership Rewards and then clicking on the “Click to Activate” link on the promotional page. If you’re not targeted, you’ll be informed when you attempt to activate the offer, but if you’re eligible, you can proceed to shop for any items sold by Amazon or Amazon Digital Services (third-party sellers don’t count). Eligible credit cards that earn Membership Rewards include The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, among others.
At checkout, you can get the discount to apply to your order by selecting the Membership Rewards-earning American Express card that’s linked to your Amazon account. Then in the box where Amazon offers to let you apply points to your order, you only need to put in $0.01 worth of points, which will be equivalent to 1 point. Click “Use this payment method” and the 20% discount should show up in your total on the right side. The discount is capped at $100 since it only applies to up to $500 in purchases.
Again, there’s no formal end date for the 20% discount — the terms and conditions simply state that the deal ends “when Amazon elects to end the promotion.” However, given the popularity of this offer, it’d probably be better to take advantage of it sooner rather than later.
H/T: Mommy Points
Featured image by Thomas Trutschel/Photothek via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.