You can once again redeem Norwegian CashPoints (sort of)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In February, Norwegian Airlines — once one of Europe’s most popular low-cost carriers — “paused” its loyalty program as the airline restructured.
Well, Norwegian has successfully exited the examinership and reconstruction processes. As promised, the Norwegian Reward program is up and running again. You can now earn and redeem CashPoints on Norwegian flights and extra services like baggage fees again.
However, there are some major caveats.
Want more credit card news and travel advice from TPG? Sign up for our daily newsletter.
What this means for you
The good news is that Norwegian didn’t devalue the CashPoints program as a whole. One CashPoint continues to equal 1 Norwegian Krone (~$0.12) towards flights and other services. However, Norwegian is temporarily limiting how many CashPoints you can redeem at a time. This doesn’t come as much of a surprise as Norwegian warned that it reserved the right to limit CashPoint redemption after restructuring until “the ongoing pandemic is under control and Norwegian’s commercial activities can return to a new normal.”
For now, for every $100 you spend on flight tickets, you can redeem up to 500 of your CashPoints. If the total booking price is under $100, you can’t redeem any points. You can redeem up to 10,000 points per account per month.
That said, most readers likely still won’t get any use out of their points. That’s because in mid-January, Norwegian permanently canceled all long-haul flights, including transatlantic flights to the U.S. The airline is now operating a very limited route network in Europe.
On the bright side, the airline has extended the validity of all CashPoints set to expire in 2021 until December 31, 2022.
On the one hand, it’s promising to see that Norwegian stuck to its word and resumed its loyalty program. However, ultimately, this news won’t mean much for many people. Although Norwegian is extending the validity of CashPoints, it’s limiting the number of points members can redeem at a time and no longer offers any long-haul flights.
This is especially disappointing for Norwegian Reward members who accepted CashPoints (with a 20% bonus) in lieu of a refund on canceled flights in 2020. Norwegian now needs to work to regain the trust of frequent flyers who might be nervous about earning CashPoints in the future.
This string of bad news surrounding Norwegian Airlines comes after years of massive growth for the airline. Before the pandemic, the airline beefed up its U.S. presence by offering low-cost transatlantic flights from major U.S. cities to its numerous European gateways. Its route network once comprised of premier routes like Los Angeles (LAX) and New York-JFK to London-Gatwick (LGW). The airline even launched a U.S. cobranded credit card in early 2020.
Additional reporting by Andrew Kunesh
Feature photo by Ryan Patterson/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees