Norwegian Air Dropping Flights Between North America and Ireland
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ultra-low-cost carrier Norwegian Air announced that it will discontinue all of the airline’s flights between North America and Ireland. Flights between North America and Ireland will end next month. The airline cited its focus on profitability and the on-going grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX as factors in the decision to terminate service between North America and Ireland.
Effective September 15th, 2019, Norwegian Air will cease all flights between the U.S., Canada, and Ireland. The following routes will be terminated:
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Cork (ORK)
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
- Providence, RI (PVD) ⇒ Shannon (SNN)
- New York-Stewart (SWF) ⇒ Shannon (SNN)
- New York-Stewart (SWF) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
- Hamilton, Ont. (YHM) ⇒ Dublin (DUB)
Norweigan Air cited the airline’s shifting focus towards profitability over growth. The airline also implicated the Boeing 737 MAX in its decision to terminate flights between North America and Ireland. The Boeing 737 MAX was the aircraft originally intended to operate the majority of Norwegian Air’s flights between North American and Ireland. However, Norwegian Air was forced to source alternate aircraft following the grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX in March 2019.
Norwegian Air had been utilizing wet-leased aircraft on its flights between North America and Ireland to minimize the impact of the 737 MAX grounding. However, the airline stated that continuing to wet-lease replacement aircraft has become unsustainable. With the 737 MAX’s re-entry into service still uncertain, Norwegian Air noted that the airline’s flights between North America and Ireland are no longer commercially viable.
Flights between North America and Ireland were added in 2017 as part of Norweigan Air’s aggressive Trans-Atlantic expansion.
Ireland’s Raidió Teilifís Éireann is reporting that “several thousand customers” will be impacted by the route closures. Norwegian Air noted in a press release that the airline is working to assist passengers impacted by the termination of flights between North America and Ireland.
Passengers impacted by the termination of Norwegian’s flights between North America and Ireland should contact the airline directly. Unfortunately, because Norwegian Air provided at least two weeks notice, passengers are not entitled to compensation under EU261.
Featured image by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees