Northern Lights May Be Visible in the US This Weekend Thanks to Solar Storm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The National Weather Service Space Prediction Center has issued a warning of a G2 solar event for this weekend. This means that it could be possible to see the aurora borealis farther south than normal on Saturday and Sunday. While viewing the northern lights is usually restricted to parts of Alaska and Canada for the Western Hemisphere, the current solar conditions could allow for viewing in parts of the continental United States.
While the aurora will be closer to home than normal, you will still need to be fairly close to the Canadian border if you’re hoping to catch a glimpse of the dancing lights. You will also, of course, want to be in a dark location, free of light pollution for the best viewing.
According to Travel + Leisure, these are some of your best options for viewing the northern lights:
- Isle Royal National Park, Michigan
- Headlands International Dark Sky Park, Michigan
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Wisconsin
- Voyageurs National Park, Minnesota
- Theodore Roosevelt National Park, North Dakota
- Glacier National Park, Montana
- Mount Rainier National Park, Washington
- Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Of course, if seeing the northern lights is on your travel bucket list and you can’t make it to one of the locations above, you can check out the posts below to help you plan the perfect trip:
- Northern Lights Viewing Season Is Back: Here Are the Best Places to See Them
- The Trendiest Places to See the Northern Lights Now
- You Can Go on a 24-Hour Hunt for the Northern Lights in Norway
If you’re looking to track the storm, you can head over to the National Weather Service Space Weather Prediction Center’s website for the latest updates on solar activity and the forecast for where you will be likely to see the aurora activity.
For the latest travel news, deals, and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter
Featured photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees