Northeast braces for a major storm — and an even rougher travel day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Northeast U.S. is bracing for a lashing of winter weather Sunday, the forecast busiest travel day of 2019.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), a major hub for United Airlines, averaged arrival delays of 2 hours and 33 minutes due to “weather/snow-ice” at 10 a.m. EST Sunday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
FlightAware.com showed that 50 flights at Newark were already canceled and another 111 flights delayed at the same time Sunday. The majority of cancellations were on United Express operators CommutAir and ExpressJet Airlines.
United and its peers American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways and Southwest Airlines have issued weather waivers for the winter storm in the Northeast Sunday. Chicago-based United is waiving change fees and fare differences for passengers booked on flights on Dec. 1-2 through 29 airports stretching from Erie (ERI), Pennsylvania, to Presque Isle (PQI), Maine, to another day for the storm.
The National Weather Service expects a mix of snow, rain and sleet, with temperatures below freezing when including wind chill at New York LaGuardia on Sunday, its latest forecast shows. The counties around New York and farther north could get 5-12 inches of snow and up to a quarter inch of ice through Tuesday.
The weather comes as industry trade group Airlines for America (A4A) expects 3.1 million passengers to fly on Sunday, making it the busiest of the year.
Airlines have beefed up schedules to accommodate the record crowds. American added 78 “red-eye” flights between midnight and 3 a.m. CST from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub, though the final number may be impacted by the weather. The airline’s Northeast weather waiver includes four airports with extra flights tonight: Newark, New York LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), and Pittsburgh (PIT).
For Sunday, American spokesman Ross Feinstein told TPG that the airline has canceled just seven mainline and 28 regional flights as of 9:45 a.m. EST.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), where there have been extensive FAA ground delay programs, has been the most challenging over the Thanksgiving travel season, Feinstein added.
FlightAware shows that 80 flights have been canceled at San Francisco, the majority on regional operator SkyWest Airlines, as of 10 a.m. EST. SkyWest primarily operates as United Express at the airport.
Delta has added roughly 330 extra flights across its system to accommodate an expected 690,000 travelers Sunday.
Featured image by Rebecca Butala How/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees