Northeast braces for a major storm — and an even rougher travel day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Northeast U.S. is bracing for a lashing of winter weather Sunday, the forecast busiest travel day of 2019.
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), a major hub for United Airlines, averaged arrival delays of 2 hours and 33 minutes due to “weather/snow-ice” at 10 a.m. EST Sunday, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
FlightAware.com showed that 50 flights at Newark were already canceled and another 111 flights delayed at the same time Sunday. The majority of cancellations were on United Express operators CommutAir and ExpressJet Airlines.
United and its peers American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways and Southwest Airlines have issued weather waivers for the winter storm in the Northeast Sunday. Chicago-based United is waiving change fees and fare differences for passengers booked on flights on Dec. 1-2 through 29 airports stretching from Erie (ERI), Pennsylvania, to Presque Isle (PQI), Maine, to another day for the storm.
The National Weather Service expects a mix of snow, rain and sleet, with temperatures below freezing when including wind chill at New York LaGuardia on Sunday, its latest forecast shows. The counties around New York and farther north could get 5-12 inches of snow and up to a quarter inch of ice through Tuesday.
The weather comes as industry trade group Airlines for America (A4A) expects 3.1 million passengers to fly on Sunday, making it the busiest of the year.
Airlines have beefed up schedules to accommodate the record crowds. American added 78 “red-eye” flights between midnight and 3 a.m. CST from its Dallas/Fort Worth hub, though the final number may be impacted by the weather. The airline’s Northeast weather waiver includes four airports with extra flights tonight: Newark, New York LaGuardia (LGA), Philadelphia (PHL), and Pittsburgh (PIT).
For Sunday, American spokesman Ross Feinstein told TPG that the airline has canceled just seven mainline and 28 regional flights as of 9:45 a.m. EST.
San Francisco International Airport (SFO), where there have been extensive FAA ground delay programs, has been the most challenging over the Thanksgiving travel season, Feinstein added.
FlightAware shows that 80 flights have been canceled at San Francisco, the majority on regional operator SkyWest Airlines, as of 10 a.m. EST. SkyWest primarily operates as United Express at the airport.
Delta has added roughly 330 extra flights across its system to accommodate an expected 690,000 travelers Sunday.
Featured image by Rebecca Butala How/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.