New York to Rome on a Single-Aisle Jet? Sure, if Airbus Has Its Way
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus introduced the newest member of its A320 family on Monday: the A321XLR. The new variant has a range of about 5,400 miles, and according to Airbus, a 30% increase in fuel efficiency over some of its competitors.
The new plane, introduced at the 2019 Paris Air Show, really expands the map of cities that could be linked by direct air service. With the A321XLR, airlines will have an extremely economical option for long-haul flights, according to Airbus. The plane can fit almost as many passengers as some smaller wide-body jets, but with narrow-body economics; that means airlines will be able to use the XLR on routes that did not have enough demand to profitably fill bigger jets with higher operating costs.
The plane is well-positioned to replace aging Boeing 757s in many fleets, especially as Boeing continues to focus on fixing its 737 MAX before releasing plans for its rumored new mid-range aircraft.
Here are just some of the city pairs that could (theoretically) see very long-range narrow-body service once the A321XLR begins flying:
New York – Rome
Boston – Dubrovnik, Croatia
Charlotte, North Carolina – Berlin
Atlanta – Barcelona
Washington – Lisbon
Fort Lauderdale, Florida – London
Miami – Buenos Aires
Chicago – Casablanca
Houston – Honolulu
London – Delhi
Sydney – Tokyo
Dubai – Cape Town
Seoul – Doha
Istanbul – Maldives
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees