You Can Now Visit 17 National Parks Along One Trail in Chile
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travelers can now follow a single 1,740-mile-long trail to visit 17 of Chile’s most stunning national parks on one unforgettable journey. Called the Ruta de los Parques de la Patagonia (Route of the Parks of Patagonia), this path originates in Puerto Montt — the gateway to Chile’s Lake District — and snakes all the way along the nation’s southwestern edge to the Tierra del Fuego archipelago.
The recently-opened, immense scenic route materialized after Kristine Tompkins (on behalf of the Tompkins Conservation) donated more than one million acres of land to the Chilean government. In response, the government “matched” this contribution by redesignating some nine million acres of federal land.
With these massive donations, it became possible for the first time to string together a collection of the most stunning and untamed lands in Chile. According to a new website dedicated to the trail, the Route of Parks incorporates three existing trails: the Southern Way, the Patagonian Channels and the End of the World.
Roughly 85% of Chile’s protected lands are now concentrated in Patagonia, and Carolina Morgado, executive director of Tompkins Conservation Chile, maintained that the route’s primary focus is on protecting the region’s natural beauty. Tourism, she said, is what comes after.
“We want Chile to be internationally recognized for having the most spectacular scenic route in the world,” Morgado said at a recent conference, “and thus become a benchmark for economic development based on conservation.”
Adventurers lured to the bottom of the Earth to experience the extraordinary trail will encounter 60 communities and 24 distinct ecosystems along the way. The trail meanders through iconic parks such as Torres del Paine and Cape Horn, as well as new or lesser-known reserves like Kawésqar and Melimoyu.
The official website provides a series of suggested itineraries (ranging in duration from 3 to 13 days) for each region — the Lakes District, Aysén and Magallanes. Travelers who attempt them all will discover vast snowfields and glaciers; temperate rainforests and lunar-like volcanic landscapes.
To promote the trail, Tompkins Conservation, Patagonia and the Route of the Parks have partnered to award a nine-day trip for two along eight of the national parks linked by the trail. For your chance to win, write a story (in 101 words or less) describing how national parks have been “important in your life.”
Upload the story, along with a photo, to your Instagram or the trail’s Facebook fan page (@rutadelosparquesdelapatagonia) with the hashtag #rutadelosparques.
Feature image by Benjamin Wu / EyeEm.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees