You Can Wake up in a Luxury Dome at the End of the World
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Known for its towering granite peaks, massive ice fields and rugged multi-day treks, most travelers don’t equate southern Patagonia with luxury.
But for guests at EcoCamp Patagonia — an environmentally-friendly collection of geodesic domes in the middle of Chile’s Torres del Paine national park — luxury is exactly what they find.
EcoCamp Patagonia takes glamping to a whole new level, striking the perfect balance between immersing travelers in nature while also offering comfortable, stylish amenities. The domes, for example, are equipped with windows in the ceiling so guests can gaze out at the night sky while lying in cozy beds fitted with fleece blankets.
Travelers can choose from four different room categories: Suite Domes, Suite Dome Lofts, Superior Domes and Standard Domes.
Standard Domes are the most basic option — they have shared bathrooms, no heat and no electricity. It’s still quite a bit fancier than sleeping on the ground in a tent, of course.
One step up are the Superior Domes which, at 250 square feet, offer guests a lot more space to unwind. They’re complete with gas heating and private bathrooms (think: composting toilets and hot water) — a serious treat after a multi-day trek.
For something more upscale, Suite Domes also have heating and private bathrooms, along with a wood-burning stove and a private terrace. Electricity is limited, but in a destination so beautiful and remote, it’s wise to unplug.
The Suite Dome Lofts span two floors, and have a stylish seating area —perfect for a group adventure.
No matter where you bed down, every guest at EcoCamp Patagonia has access to the Community and Yoga Dome. Grab a plate from the breakfast buffet and pick up a daily boxed lunch in the Community Dome before heading out for an excursion.
Come evening, mingle with fellow explorers over a three-course dinner. And did we mention there’s wine?
The Yoga Dome overlooks the vast Patagonian pampas and offers twice daily classes. You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more serene destination to practice your chaturangas.
Best of all, EcoCamp Patagonia is almost completely carbon neutral. Save for a backup generator, all of the hotel’s energy comes from a micro-hydro turbine and photovoltaic panels.
How to book
EcoCamp Patagonia closes for the winter, so you’ll have to travel to Chile between September and April to stay in one of these stunning domes. (So now is the perfect time to start planning your trip.)
It’s also important to note that if you want to stay here, you’ll have to book an all-inclusive package, complete with transportation, excursions and daily meals. Packages for a traditional seven-day W Trek start at approximately $1,860 for a Standard Dome. Seasonality, number of travelers, trip activities and more will affect the price tag. Reservations are made with Cascada Expediciones.
Americans en route to southern Patagonia will first fly into Santiago’s Comodoro Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport (SCL).
SCL is serviced by nonstop flights on American Airlines from Dallas (DFW) and Miami (MIA), with award redemptions starting at 30,000 miles one-way in economy and 57,500 in business. Delta Air Lines flies nonstop from Atlanta (ATL) — it no longer publishes award charts but the lowest award rates are 35,000 miles one-way in economy and from 80,000 miles in business.
United flies nonstop from Houston (IAH) with award rates starting at 30,000 miles one-way in economy and 60,000 miles in business. Meanwhile, LATAM offers flights from New York (JFK), Los Angeles (LAX), Orlando (MCO), Miami and Dallas, and you can use Oneworld partners American AAdvantage or British Airways Avios, or Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, which also partners independently with LATAM.
From SCL, you’ll catch a domestic flight to either Puerto Natales or Punta Arenas with LATAM or a regional airline such as JetSmart and Sky Airlines. EcoCamp Patagonia provides round-trip airport transfers.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees