2020 is shaping up to be a big year for this little Hilton brand
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This year is already off to a busy start for Hilton. The chain just announced an entirely new brand — Tempo by Hilton — and now it’s shared plans to open a whopping 20 new Canopy by Hilton properties around the globe before the end of 2020.
For those unfamiliar with the Canopy brand, it prides itself on offering guests more of a local experience. Employees are considered neighborhood “enthusiasts” who are focused on helping guests with thoughtful recommendations for restaurants, attractions and live events in town.
Hilton has also gone to great lengths to create distinct, stylish spaces inspired by that particular neighborhood’s history and culture, and every guest staying at a Canopy by Hilton can take advantage of complimentary bikes — because what better way to see the neighborhood than a ride around town?
Whenever I’m home in Washington, D.C., I always make it a point to visit the Canopy at The Wharf. It’s a fun area of the city to hang out in, and the rooftop at the hotel offers some of the best views of D.C. And the bar, Whiskey Charlie, makes excellent drinks. It’s the perfect place to catch up with friends or impress visitors.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Now that I’ve given my two cents, here’s a look at the 20 new Canopy by Hilton openings slated to debut this year:
Canopy by Hilton’s international lineup includes forthcoming properties in São Paulo-Jardins in Brazil; Hangzhou-West Lake in China; Paris-Trocadero in France; Dubai-Al Seef in the United Arab Emirates; and London City in the United Kingdom. Cancun la Isla, in Mexico, just opened this week with rates starting around $195 or 53,000 Hilton Honors points per night.
In the U.S., properties are slated to open in:
Austin-Downtown in Texas
Baltimore-Harbor Point in Maryland
Charlotte-South Park in North Carolina
Dallas-Frisco Station in Texas
Grand Rapids-Downtown in Michigan
Jersey City Arts District in New Jersey
Kansas City Downtown in Missouri
Memphis Downtown in Tennessee
Philadelphia Center City in Pennsylvania
San Antonio Riverwalk in Texas
Old Town Scottsdale in Arizona
Tempe-Downtown University Area in Arizona
West Palm Beach Downtown in Florida
The Canopy by Hilton Washington, D.C. Embassy Row just opened on Jan. 14, with rooms from 32,000 points per night ($107) in February. Hilton uses dynamic pricing when it comes to award nights, so it’s hard to pinpoint where exactly all these properties will land in terms of redemption rates.
In addition to these 20 new properties, there are currently a dozen other Canopy hotels peppered across the U.S., China, Croatia and Iceland. TPG himself stayed at the Reykjavík Canopy (from about $190 or 50,000 Honors points) back in 2018, and he really enjoyed the local elements.
Looking ahead, Hilton is planning on opening up 14 additional properties in destinations such as Bordeaux, France and Cape Town, South Africa.
Featured photo courtesy of Hilton Hotels.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees