Does your Amex feel light? Here’s why
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A few months ago, we had a TPG reader reach out to us about The Platinum Card® from American Express feeling lighter and flimsier, so we put it to the test, and it was indeed one gram lighter and bent more than before. This was because of the change to contactless cards by Amex, forcing the company to use different metal materials to incorporate the technology. Ultimately, it brought the Platinum card from the second-strongest metal card — behind the Black card — to fifth-strongest metal card.
Recently another TPG reader tweeted at Amex asking about the change, to which Amex responded:
Amex has confirmed with TPG that the new contactless metal cards (except the Centurion card) are not completely metal, and feature a plastic backside. That means the Amex Platinum, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express and the American Express® Gold Card will no longer be as clunky and heavy as before. Amex says that this change was implemented in July, although it appears that the Amex Gold card was made with a lighter-weight metal or plastic back earlier than then.
This also explains why some of our staffers with the old contactless Platinum and Gold cards have had issues using the “tap-to-pay” feature on New York City’s subway. In order for the contactless feature to work, the antenna needs to be able to reach the card reader, which the metal blocks.
If you’re a fan of the the “tap to pay” feature, this is good news for you as it’ll make it much more functional. However, if you’re all about the strength, durability and weight of your card then you’re out of luck. And if you’ve never thought about either of these things, then you probably didn’t even notice.
What do you think about this change? Would you rather be able to tap to pay or the satisfaction (or regret) of a good old-fashioned swipe and the clank of the metal? Personally, I think convenience is king and don’t mind the plastic backing.
Featured photo by The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees