Morocco is welcoming tourists once again starting Feb. 7
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Good news for those craving a trip to Marrakesh. The government of Morocco says airspace will reopen to international flights on Feb. 7.
Morocco closed its borders on Nov. 29, 2021, suspending flights amid concerns over spread of the omicron variant. In a statement, the government said the decision to reopen had considered “the evolution of the epidemiological situation in the Kingdom.”
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, on its 4-level warning system, lists Morocco as Level 3: High Level of COVID, and recommends visitors be vaccinated and that anyone 2 years or older wear a mask.
According to Reuters, Morocco is currently reporting 96 infections per 100,000 people over the last seven days, with the country’s vaccination rate estimated at about 71.4 % of the population.
What to expect
The government in announcing the reopening said that entry requirements would be announced at a later date.
On the Moroccan National Tourist Office website, the U.S. is listed as an A-list country, which currently means visitors flying in would have to show proof of being fully vaccinated and submit a health form. “Upon arrival in the national territory, travelers on list A must undergo a systematic temperature check and another random check by rapid antigenic test,” according to the website.
Children under the age of 12 are exempt from any entry requirements but those between 6 and 11 years of age must present a negative PCR test, the website says.
Currently in Morocco, according to the tourist office, masks and temperature checks are mandatory when moving around cafes and restaurants, at hammams and other wellness facilities, and at museums and cultural sites, with masks also required in taxis and on public transportation.
Featured image by Stella Shon/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.