Moon-themed resort set to launch in Las Vegas
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With billionaires blasting into space as a regular occurrence now, what does the average space buff have to look forward to besides space camp or a stay at Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser hotel at Walt Disney World? How about a faux lunar experience in the form of an enormous, moon-shaped hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
The Canadian-based Moon World Resorts Inc. has announced plans for a $5 billion, 5.5-million-square-foot hotel whose signature feature will be a 1/75,000-sized replica of the moon.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our free daily newsletter.
The Las Vegas endeavor (with a working name of “Moon”) is one of four lunar-themed resorts scheduled to launch across the globe in 2026 or 2027. Others are planned for the Middle East, China and Spain.
At 735 feet tall and 650 feet wide, Moon Resorts Las Vegas will reportedly include a whopping 4,000 hotel rooms. (A five-star operator is said to be in the works.) Plans also call for a 75,000-square-foot spa, 50,000-square-feet of food and beverage offerings, 75,000-square-feet of retail and 150,00-square-feet of clubs and lounges.
According to the Daily Mail, one of the clubs will be poised directly under a “spaceship” and will beam lights down on guests. Additional entertainment venues include a 2,500-seat theater, a planetarium, a 5,000-seat event center and 10,000-seat arena. Of course, there is also a 130,000-square-foot casino in the plans. (No word if it will feature a lunar theme, but it’s probably a safe bet.)
Moon’s signature offering, however, is its “active lunar colony.”
To access the colony, which would be in the upper half of the sphere, guests would head to a station with waiting “moon shuttles.” The shuttles, designed like cars on a roller coaster ride, will snake around the exterior of the hotel suites as they ferry guests upward.
Once there, guests will spend 90 minutes exploring the 10-acre (4-hectare) space, whizzing over craters in a “moon buggy.” The colony promises to “precisely mimic those [lunar colonies] now under serious active planning by Nasa, ESA and many others.” Tickets would cost £361 ($500) a pop.
Made from concrete, steel, glass, aluminum and carbon fiber composite, it’s estimated the resort will take four years to construct.
“People want something unique, something different, something ‘Wow,’” Michael Henderson, co-founder of Moon World Resorts, Inc., told The New York Post. “Space flights cost $200,000 to $250,000 — so the masses just can’t participate. With Moon [World Resorts], for $500, they can walk on an authentic lunar surface and enjoy exploring a lunar colony in a spectacular way.”
At present, developers and investors are going through the licensing process. Room rates will be “competitive” with other five-star hotels, said Henderson.
Feature image courtesy Moon World Resorts Inc.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees