Minneapolis Airport Hiring TSA Staff But Can’t Pay Them, and Other Shutdown News
Although reports say airports across the country have had TSA staffing issues during the shutdown, the hiring event was actually scheduled before the shutdown was declared. Van Leuven told CBS Minnesota that the airport and TSA might have put the event on hold if several busy travel periods like spring break, the Final Four and the summer season, weren’t around the corner.
In other government-shutdown news:
- ATL calls for backup
It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport has been among the hardest hit institutions by the government shutdown. Amid the long lines, delays and shortage of TSA officers, the National Deployment Force (NDF) reportedly had to fly out 20 extra TSA officers to help fill the gap.
In an email, TSA spokesperson Thomas Kelly said that the additional officers were deployed in an effort to “optimize resources, manage consolidation efforts, and ensure screening lanes are properly staffed.” Hopefully, these measures can clear up some of the ATL airport congestion for the time being.
- TSA Workers Stiffed a $500 Bonus
TSA workers are reporting that they have yet to receive one day’s worth of back pay and an additional bonus they were promised.
On Friday, TSA administrator David Pekoske sent an email out to TSA agents stating that they would be compensated for the shift they worked on Dec. 22 because it was not part of the paycheck that is currently being held for the shutdown. They would also receive a $500 bonus for working through the holidays.
However, when the pay date rolled around on Tuesday, workers did not receive the compensation they were expecting. Some workers reported that they received partial paychecks, but they did not accurately cover all the hours they worked on Dec. 22. Despite this, TSA spokesperson Tom Kelly told BuzzFeed News that the payments should have gone through. “It was processed after it was signed off by the administrator, and they should have gotten it yesterday or the day before. I wouldn’t know why somebody wouldn’t have gotten their pay,” Kelly said. “I’m certain that if they bring it to their local leadership then it will be worked out.”
- Newark Protests
While it is prohibited by law for TSA agents to go on strike, airport workers have been fighting the government shutdown through protests. A group could be found last night outside Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR), handing out pamphlets and urging travelers to contact their elected officials.
Newark ATC was already facing a staffing shortage prior to the shutdown, which is now only worsening with the number of callouts increasing each day. Protests like this have been popping up throughout the country — Cleveland (CLE) employees handed out fliers and spoke with travelers in a similar manner outside of the airport Tuesday and Dallas (DFW) held a rally for TSA and ATC agents last night.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees