Man Blames His Mom for Packing a Collapsible Rifle in His Carry-On Bag
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration confiscated yet another gun at check-in at Baltimore–Washington International Airport (BWI). Only this time, the passenger claims he didn’t know it was there because his mom packed his carry-on bag.
TSA stopped the man after officers detected an unloaded, collapsible .40 caliber rifle in his bag at the security checkpoint. The unidentified man was arrested on weapons charges.
According to a local news station in Maryland, this is the 20th gun found at one of BWI’s checkpoints this year, and a total of 26 were found last year. Similarly, TSA officers stopped a woman with a loaded gun at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) at one of the airport checkpoints on Tuesday, marking the 13th handgun caught so far this year at that airport, TSA reported.
Maryland man arrested after @TSA caught him with this collapsible rifle in his carry-on bag at @BWI_Airport last Friday. He claimed that he didn’t know it was in his bag because his mother packed his bag. pic.twitter.com/DEd9XvR2Tm
— TSAmedia_LisaF (@TSAmedia_LisaF) October 17, 2018
TSA officers confiscating guns at security checkpoints has become all too common at US airports this year. Firearms are permitted in air travel, but only when packaged and declared in a checked bag. The firearm must be must be unloaded, packed in a hard-sided case, locked, and packed separately from ammunition. They are never allowed through security checkpoints and end up causing delays for other passengers when found in carryon bags. Even if your gun is pink, or you’re carrying an item that resembles a gun or any weapon, like a grenade, you cannot bring them through the airport.
Passengers who bring guns (loaded or unloaded) to TSA checkpoints could be charged up to a $13,000 fine in addition to an arrest.
According to TSA, roughly one in 200,000 travelers brought guns to checkpoints nationwide in 2017; 84% of them were loaded. And, of the guns caught at checkpoints in 2017, 23% were carried by women.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees