Even If Your Gun Is Pink, the TSA Will Take It (And Arrest You)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Even if a loaded handgun is pink and petite, it won’t make it through the TSA checkpoint.
That’s the hard-learned lesson one Virginia woman is taking away from her arrest at Richmond International Airport (RIC) on Monday. The woman, who has not been identified, was packing a hot pink 9mm hand gun loaded with one pink-tipped bullet in her carry-on. Transportation Security Administration agents confiscated the weapon and found eight other pink-tipped bullets in her bag.
The colorful semi-automatic was picked up on the security checkpoint’s X-ray machine, leading TSA officers to call airport police who took the gun and the woman into custody on criminal weapons charges. Passengers who bring guns (loaded or unloaded) to TSA checkpoints could be charged up to a $13,000 fine in addition to an arrest.
The TSA media office dubbed the gun “prohibited in pink” on Twitter.
Hey lady, your hot pink gun may be colorful, but it’s still not allowed past the @TSA checkpoint! Prohibited in pink! This loaded handgun and pink-tipped bullets were spotted in a carry-on bag at Richmond Int’l Airport yesterday. The result: the traveler was arrested. @Flack4RIC pic.twitter.com/m7yK3fZj9F
— TSAmedia_LisaF (@TSAmedia_LisaF) May 8, 2018
According to TSA guidelines, passengers may only transport unloaded firearms in locked, hard-sided containers in checked baggage. Flyers must also declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking the bag.
TSA tracks the number of firearms confiscated at checkpoints each week. The numbers from the most recent week available, April 23-29, 2018, show the TSA confiscated 94 firearms from carry-on bags around the US. In 2017, TSA found a record number of firearms at checkpoints: 3,957 in the course of the year.
H/T: The Washington Post
Featured image by @TSAmedia_LisaF on Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees