Lyft Piloting Discounted Rides to Grocery Stores for Food Desert Residents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-hailing companies are changing the way our society moves, in cities and even between them. Both Uber and Lyft have already partnered with local governments to provide subsidized rides in lieu of public transportation.
Now Lyft has partnered with Martha’s Table, a Washington DC non-profit, to provide heavily discounted rides to families living in food deserts.
“Food deserts are defined as parts of the country void of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas,” according to the DC Policy Center and Lyft. “This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.”
150,000 people currently reside in DC’s Wards 7 and 8, where they have access to just three grocery stores. 81% of those residents are in areas far enough away from the grocery stores to be classified as living in a food desert.
The Lyft Grocery Access Program will identify 500 families to join the program and participants will receive codes to travel to participating grocery stores or Martha’s Table, which also provides meals to low-income families.
Families will receive 50 rides priced at $2.50 each (and aren’t subject to surge pricing) from Jan. 1 through June 30, 2019. That’s an estimated cost of just $5 per week, per family.
To qualify families “must have a child enrolled at one of the seven participating elementary schools or Martha’s Table programming and attend an in-person orientation with Martha’s Table and Lyft.” To see more information on the program and to sign-up, head to the Lyft Grocery Access Program splash page.
Lyft says it may expand the program in January.
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.