Lyft Piloting Discounted Rides to Grocery Stores for Food Desert Residents
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-hailing companies are changing the way our society moves, in cities and even between them. Both Uber and Lyft have already partnered with local governments to provide subsidized rides in lieu of public transportation.
Now Lyft has partnered with Martha’s Table, a Washington DC non-profit, to provide heavily discounted rides to families living in food deserts.
“Food deserts are defined as parts of the country void of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas,” according to the DC Policy Center and Lyft. “This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.”
150,000 people currently reside in DC’s Wards 7 and 8, where they have access to just three grocery stores. 81% of those residents are in areas far enough away from the grocery stores to be classified as living in a food desert.
The Lyft Grocery Access Program will identify 500 families to join the program and participants will receive codes to travel to participating grocery stores or Martha’s Table, which also provides meals to low-income families.
Families will receive 50 rides priced at $2.50 each (and aren’t subject to surge pricing) from Jan. 1 through June 30, 2019. That’s an estimated cost of just $5 per week, per family.
To qualify families “must have a child enrolled at one of the seven participating elementary schools or Martha’s Table programming and attend an in-person orientation with Martha’s Table and Lyft.” To see more information on the program and to sign-up, head to the Lyft Grocery Access Program splash page.
Lyft says it may expand the program in January.
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees