Lyft Introduces Features to Lure Drivers Away From Uber
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In an effort to keep drivers operating with Lyft instead of the competition, the ridesharing company has taken to offering new in-app incentives. On Thursday, Lyft announced that it’s added several enhancements to the app for its drivers, all in an effort to make the relationship between corporate and drivers stronger.
More specifically, Lyft is improving the driver experience by adding a default tipping option to the passenger interface, in theory, resulting in more tips for drivers. In addition, it’s adding the option for riders to tip their driver while in the middle of the ride, when the thought might be at the top of the mind. The new tipping functionality will be rolled out for select riders in December, with a more broad rollout at the beginning of 2019.
Lyft is also introducing a way for drivers to maintain a high rating. Beginning December, Lyft will drop the single lowest rating for every 100 rides, exclude low ratings for things outside of a driver’s control (like traffic) and default to a five-star rating if not explicitly selected by the passenger.
Finally, Lyft is introducing new functionality in the app to make it easier for drivers to see when demand is anticipated to be highest for the upcoming week. The app will take into account local events, busiest hours of the day and more to show drivers when they have the best chance of getting the most money on rides.
The rideshare company is making these changes as a way to stay on par with its biggest competitor, Uber. Uber offers some perks for drivers, such as a points program that awards a free college education through Arizona State University’s online program.
In July, Lyft announced that it was considering adding a feature that would allow passengers to notify the driver that they’re not looking to make small talk. Earlier this month, Lyft announced a new benefit for riders: the introduction of a rewards program.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees