This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
San Francisco-based ride-hailing company Lyft announced Thursday that all of its rides will now be carbon neutral. The project is a multi-million dollar investment and will offset more than one million metric tons of carbon in the first year alone.
That would be the equivalent of “planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” Lyft co-founders John Zimmer and Logan Green wrote in a Medium blog post.
The initiative will fund “emission mitigation” projects, including reduction of emissions in the automotive manufacturing process, forestry initiatives, renewable energy programs and capturing emissions from landfills. Last year, Lyft hired environmentalist Paul Hawken to be its environmental advisor and joined the We Are Still In coalition, a group of businesses and leaders committed to supporting the Paris Climate Accord.
According to the most recent numbers available from the Environmental Protection Agency, light-duty vehicles are responsible for 60% of US transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
Although the company declined to provide a precise dollar amount for the program, Zimmer pledged that in the first year alone, the ride-sharing company will invest millions of dollars:
“In year one, we anticipate offsetting over a million metric tons of carbon, equivalent to planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” he said. “Lyft’s investment and impact will continue to grow as the company does.”
Photo by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees