Lyft Says All of Its Rides Are Now Carbon Neutral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
San Francisco-based ride-hailing company Lyft announced Thursday that all of its rides will now be carbon neutral. The project is a multi-million dollar investment and will offset more than one million metric tons of carbon in the first year alone.
That would be the equivalent of “planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” Lyft co-founders John Zimmer and Logan Green wrote in a Medium blog post.
The initiative will fund “emission mitigation” projects, including reduction of emissions in the automotive manufacturing process, forestry initiatives, renewable energy programs and capturing emissions from landfills. Last year, Lyft hired environmentalist Paul Hawken to be its environmental advisor and joined the We Are Still In coalition, a group of businesses and leaders committed to supporting the Paris Climate Accord.
According to the most recent numbers available from the Environmental Protection Agency, light-duty vehicles are responsible for 60% of US transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
Although the company declined to provide a precise dollar amount for the program, Zimmer pledged that in the first year alone, the ride-sharing company will invest millions of dollars:
“In year one, we anticipate offsetting over a million metric tons of carbon, equivalent to planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” he said. “Lyft’s investment and impact will continue to grow as the company does.”
Photo by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees