Lyft Says All of Its Rides Are Now Carbon Neutral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
San Francisco-based ride-hailing company Lyft announced Thursday that all of its rides will now be carbon neutral. The project is a multi-million dollar investment and will offset more than one million metric tons of carbon in the first year alone.
That would be the equivalent of “planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” Lyft co-founders John Zimmer and Logan Green wrote in a Medium blog post.
The initiative will fund “emission mitigation” projects, including reduction of emissions in the automotive manufacturing process, forestry initiatives, renewable energy programs and capturing emissions from landfills. Last year, Lyft hired environmentalist Paul Hawken to be its environmental advisor and joined the We Are Still In coalition, a group of businesses and leaders committed to supporting the Paris Climate Accord.
According to the most recent numbers available from the Environmental Protection Agency, light-duty vehicles are responsible for 60% of US transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
Although the company declined to provide a precise dollar amount for the program, Zimmer pledged that in the first year alone, the ride-sharing company will invest millions of dollars:
“In year one, we anticipate offsetting over a million metric tons of carbon, equivalent to planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” he said. “Lyft’s investment and impact will continue to grow as the company does.”
Photo by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.