Lyft Says All of Its Rides Are Now Carbon Neutral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
San Francisco-based ride-hailing company Lyft announced Thursday that all of its rides will now be carbon neutral. The project is a multi-million dollar investment and will offset more than one million metric tons of carbon in the first year alone.
That would be the equivalent of “planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” Lyft co-founders John Zimmer and Logan Green wrote in a Medium blog post.
The initiative will fund “emission mitigation” projects, including reduction of emissions in the automotive manufacturing process, forestry initiatives, renewable energy programs and capturing emissions from landfills. Last year, Lyft hired environmentalist Paul Hawken to be its environmental advisor and joined the We Are Still In coalition, a group of businesses and leaders committed to supporting the Paris Climate Accord.
According to the most recent numbers available from the Environmental Protection Agency, light-duty vehicles are responsible for 60% of US transportation greenhouse gas emissions.
Although the company declined to provide a precise dollar amount for the program, Zimmer pledged that in the first year alone, the ride-sharing company will invest millions of dollars:
“In year one, we anticipate offsetting over a million metric tons of carbon, equivalent to planting tens of millions of trees or taking hundreds of thousands of cars off the road,” he said. “Lyft’s investment and impact will continue to grow as the company does.”
Photo by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees