Lufthansa strike causes 1,300 cancellations this week, including many U.S. flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa flight attendants are going on strike this week, and as a result Germany’s flag carrier will be canceling 1,300 flights on Thursday Nov. 7 and Friday Nov. 8. Airline strikes are more common in Europe than they are in the U.S., and many of the continent’s major airline have dealt with strikes this year.
Even though the vast majority of Lufthansa’s route network involves places other than the U.S., this particular strike will have a painful effect on U.S.-based travelers. We searched all Lufthansa flights to North America and found that at the time of publishing, the following flights from Lufthansa’s Frankfurt (FRA) hub have been canceled on Thursday and Friday:
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (ORD)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) — Thursday only
- Detroit (DTW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Miami (MIA) — Thursday only
- San Diego (SAN) — Friday only
- San Francisco (SFO) — Thursday only
- Seattle (SEA)
From Munich (MUC), both Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami seem to be affected as of now. If you have a flight on Thursday or Friday, you’ll definitely want to keep a close eye on your flight status.
As One Mile at a Time notes, Lufthansa’s website is struggling to keep up with flight status searches right now. The airline is offering a liberal return policy, but under normal circumstances hold times with Lufthansa can be cumbersome, so you may struggle to reach them via phone or rebook a flight on the website. Even if your flight hasn’t been canceled yet, Lufthansa is offering ways to avoid the strike:
Even if your flight has not been canceled but you prefer a different date, we also offer you a free rebooking in case of
– You are booked on a Lufthansa flight to or from Frankfurt or Munich with departure on 7 or 8 November.
– Your ticket was issued on and before 4 November.
You can rebook your flight for the same route to a new date up to and including 15 November (date of departure). Subject to availability in the same class.
It’s important to be prepared when dealing with flight delays and cancellations. Last-minute changes can and do happen frequently. Make sure you know how not to get stuck in the airport for days on end.
It’s also important to double check what credit card you booked your trip with. While Citi has ended trip cancellation protection across its portfolio of credit cards, you should still be able to file a claim if you purchased your ticket prior to September 22, 2019, when coverage ended. There are still a host of cards that offer this sort of protection, and American Express is joining this group in the near future. Check out our list to see if the card you used might provide you some protection.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.