Lufthansa strike causes 1,300 cancellations this week, including many U.S. flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa flight attendants are going on strike this week, and as a result Germany’s flag carrier will be canceling 1,300 flights on Thursday Nov. 7 and Friday Nov. 8. Airline strikes are more common in Europe than they are in the U.S., and many of the continent’s major airline have dealt with strikes this year.
Even though the vast majority of Lufthansa’s route network involves places other than the U.S., this particular strike will have a painful effect on U.S.-based travelers. We searched all Lufthansa flights to North America and found that at the time of publishing, the following flights from Lufthansa’s Frankfurt (FRA) hub have been canceled on Thursday and Friday:
- Boston (BOS)
- Chicago (ORD)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW) — Thursday only
- Detroit (DTW)
- Houston (IAH)
- Miami (MIA) — Thursday only
- San Diego (SAN) — Friday only
- San Francisco (SFO) — Thursday only
- Seattle (SEA)
From Munich (MUC), both Los Angeles (LAX) and Miami seem to be affected as of now. If you have a flight on Thursday or Friday, you’ll definitely want to keep a close eye on your flight status.
As One Mile at a Time notes, Lufthansa’s website is struggling to keep up with flight status searches right now. The airline is offering a liberal return policy, but under normal circumstances hold times with Lufthansa can be cumbersome, so you may struggle to reach them via phone or rebook a flight on the website. Even if your flight hasn’t been canceled yet, Lufthansa is offering ways to avoid the strike:
Even if your flight has not been canceled but you prefer a different date, we also offer you a free rebooking in case of
– You are booked on a Lufthansa flight to or from Frankfurt or Munich with departure on 7 or 8 November.
– Your ticket was issued on and before 4 November.
You can rebook your flight for the same route to a new date up to and including 15 November (date of departure). Subject to availability in the same class.
It’s important to be prepared when dealing with flight delays and cancellations. Last-minute changes can and do happen frequently. Make sure you know how not to get stuck in the airport for days on end.
It’s also important to double check what credit card you booked your trip with. While Citi has ended trip cancellation protection across its portfolio of credit cards, you should still be able to file a claim if you purchased your ticket prior to September 22, 2019, when coverage ended. There are still a host of cards that offer this sort of protection, and American Express is joining this group in the near future. Check out our list to see if the card you used might provide you some protection.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees